What does PS5 rest mode do?
The PS5 rest mode enables the console to continue functioning at a reduced capacity. This rest mode is capable of supporting all special background features like charging an iPad in your absence, supplying power to your USB ports, and updating games behind the scenes.
Table of Contents
Why does PS5 keep going into rest mode?
The PS5 keeps going into rest mode if the console has been inactive for a long time, the console is overheating or the vents have got blocked due to dust accumulation.
- Console is inactive for long
- Console is overheating
- Dust-filled vents
Console is inactive for long
When the PS5 console is inactive for a long period, it automatically goes into rest mode. You can easily overcome this by changing the settings in the Rest Mode menu.
Console is overheating
Continuous playing of games causes the console to overheat. This makes the PS5 go to rest mode by itself to prevent hardware damage. You need to give the PS5 a break from continuous gameplay to prevent it from overheating.
The little vents of the PS5 tend to gather dust at regular intervals, which causes the PS5 fans to slow down and the PS5 to go into Rest mode. You can overcome this by gently cleaning the vents.
How do I stop my PS5 from going into rest mode?
You can stop your PS5 from going into rest mode by disabling the rest mode in the Settings menu, disabling the rest mode via the Power button, or holding down the PlayStation button.
These are minor glitches that can be solved in the following manner.
Disable the rest mode in the settings menu
- Go to the Settings menu.
- Select Power Saving followed by Rest Mode.
- Choose Don’t Put in Rest Mode.
Disable the rest mode via the Power button
- Hold down the Power button.
- Release the Power button only after the PS5 beeps twice.Rest mode is turned OFF.
Hold down the PlayStation button
- Hold down the PS5 button on PS5’s new DualSense controller.
Does rest mode ruin PS5?
The PS5 consumes a lot of power in the rest mode. It tends to become unresponsive when attempts are made to exit the rest mode. At times, the rest mode tends to corrupt data and even causes the system to crash or damage the console.
Can I leave my PS5 in rest mode?
No, you should not leave your PS5 in rest mode because it consumes more electricity as it is still plugged into the power supply outlet. You can avoid the various issues related to rest mode by closing all your apps and games.
How long can a PS5 stay in rest mode?
A PS5 can stay in rest mode for up to three hours. If you are keen to download large games, install the latest games, or even software updates, you can keep the PS5 console in rest mode overnight.
How to turn off PS5 rest mode?
You can turn OFF the PS5 rest mode by changing the rest mode settings in the Settings menu, using the Control Center menu, or via the Automatic Turn Off feature.
The following steps will guide you on how to turn off the PS5 rest mode.
Change rest mode settings in the settings menu
- Go to the PS5 Settings menu.
- Select System.
- Scroll down to Power Saving.
- Choose Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- Between the two options that appear, choose the Don’t Put in Rest Mode option.
Use the Control Center Menu
- Press the PlayStation logo on the controller to open the Control Center menu of the PS5.
- Press the Powerbutton.
- From the three options that appear, choose Turn Off PS5.
- Restart your PS5.
Automatic Turn Off feature
- Open your PS5 settings.
- On the top right-hand side of the Homescreen, locate the cog-shaped icon.
- Choose Systemfollowed by Power Saving.
- Select the time in the Set Time Until Controllers Turn Offfield. You can have your controller shut down after 10, 30, or 60 minutes of inactivity.
How to put PS5 in rest mode?
You can put PS5 in rest mode using the PS5 button on the DualSense controller.
- Keep the console switched ON
- Press the PS5 button on the DualSense controller. This opens a menu from the bottom of the screen.
- On the right-hand side, select the Power option by pressing the X button.
- In the Power menu, select the Enter Rest Mode option and your PS5 goes into the rest mode.
PS5 goes into rest mode when I turn it on?
When you turn the console ON, your PS5 goes into rest mode due to an enabled rest mode feature, blocked vents, or overheating.
These issues can be manually solved without any hindrance in the following manner.
Disable rest mode feature
- Navigate to the Settings menu.
- Tap on the Power Saving setting.
- Select the Rest Mode setting.
- Select the Rest Mode option as Don’t Put in Rest Mode.
- Use a low-powered vacuum cleaner or a can of compressed air to remove the debris from the vents.
- Use a toothpick covered with a soft cotton swab to remove the dirt from the vents gently.
Long hours of gaming tend to make the console very hot. Ensure that you take sporadic breaks from gaming to stop the console from overheating.
PS5 goes into rest mode when I turn my TV OFF?
Your PS5 goes into rest mode when you turn your TV OFF because of an enabled HDMI-CEC feature on your TV or an enabled power OFF link.
This problem can be easily resolved with the solutions listed below.
Enabled HDMI-CEC feature
- Switch ON your PS5.
- Select the Settings cog from the top-right side.
- Under Settings, tap on System followed by HDMI.
- Disable the HDMI Device Link feature.
Enabled power OFF link
- Under Settings, select System.
- Click on HDMI.
- Under Enable HDMI Device Link, turn OFF Enable Power Off Link.
How much power does rest mode use?
Rest mode is known to use a lot of power and differs across the various versions of the PlayStation.
Given below are the details of power consumption across the different PlayStation devices.
Power consumption in rest mode on PS4
In rest mode, PS4 uses 0.00047 kWh of electricity per hour.
Power consumption in rest mode on PS5
In rest mode, PS5 consumes 1.3 watts of electricity per hour.
PS5 rest mode issues
PS5 rest mode issues include the console crashing or the display of an error code.
- Console crash
- Error code
The PS5 rest mode is known to cause a console crash. This can be easily resolved by changing the power saving settings to prevent the PS5 from going into the rest mode.
A common rest mode issue of the PS5 is the error code CE-108262-9. This is best resolved by resorting to technical support at PlayStation.
Will rest mode overheat PS5?
The PS5 can run the risk of overheating even when it is in rest mode. There is nothing you can do to prevent the console from overheating in this mode. You can stop overheating in the PS5 by turning it OFF often. Another option to avoid overheating is to ensure that the console is placed in a cool location.
Does rest mode download faster in PS5?
- The Restmode enables downloads faster in PS5 because the console is not using its resources elsewhere. All the resources of the console are dedicated to downloading the games. So, the download speed is really fast.
- In the Rest mode, you can also use the ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi. This also helps download games at lightning speed.
Why is my PS5 stuck in rest mode?
Your PS5 is stuck in rest mode due to a problematic power supply, a dirty console, or a pending system software update.
These problems can be resolved easily with the solutions listed below.
Problematic power supply
- Switch OFF your PS5.
- Unplug your PS5 from the power supply outlet.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Reconnect your PS5 to the power supply outlet.
- Switch ON your PS5.
- Use a can of compressed air to draw out any type of debris inside the console.
- If you open the PS5, you can gently clean the internal parts with a soft cotton swab.
Pending system software update
- Boot your PS5 in Safe mode.
- Download the latest version of the system software on a USB drive.
- Install it manually.
Why is my PS5 crashing after rest mode?
Your PS5 is crashing after rest mode due to a pending rebuild of the PS5 database, an enabled rest mode, or requires a simple restart.
The instructions given below help solve these issues.
Rebuild PS5 database
- Connect your PS5 DualSense controller to a USB cable.
- Press the PS5 button on the controller to pair it.
- Press and hold the Power button until you hear the second beep. Your PS5 gets booted in the Safe mode.
- Select the Reset PS5 option.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
Enabled rest mode
- In the Settings menu, select System.
- Tap on Power Saving followed by Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- From the drop-down menu, select Don’t Put in Rest Mode for During Media Playback and While Playing Games.
- Return to the Home screen and restart your console.
Restart your PlayStation 5
- Switch OFF the PS5.
- Unplug the console from the power supply outlet.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Plug your PS5 into the power supply outlet.
- Switch ON your PS5.
PS5 rest mode green screen
The PS5 rest mode causes a green screen due to an incorrect HDMI connection, an enabled HDR on your TV, and an activated or some TV issues.
Follow the solutions listed below to overcome these issues.
Incorrect HDMI connection
PS5 works well with any HDMI but check if your TV supports HDMI 2.1 port. If it does not, try for an HDMI 1.4 port. A change of HDMI port resolves the green screen issue.
Enabled HDR on your TV
- Navigate to your PS5’s Settings menu.
- Select Screen and Video.
- Choose Video Output.
- Under the Adjust HDR menu, disable HDR.
- Ensure your TV is running the most updated firmware/software.
- If you have to install the latest firmware/software, visit the official website of the TV manufacturer and follow the installation steps.