Why is my iPad screen darker than usual?
Your iPad screen may be darker than usual because of the brightness set to the zero level, low battery level of your iPad, dark mode turned ON, true tone mode turned OFF or night shift turned ON.
Table of Contents
You can fix these issues simply from the Control Center of your iPad.
- Brightness level set to zero
- Low battery
- Dark mode ON
- Night shift ON
- True tone OFF
Brightness level set to zero
When the brightness level of your screen is manually set to zero, the iPad screen will be darker than usual because the iPad is unable to adjust the light automatically.
When the battery level of your iPad is low or the battery is completely drained, your iPad screen looks darker than usual because the iPad begins saving power by keeping a low light.
Dark mode ON
When the Dark Mode feature on your iPad is turned ON, the screen stays dimly lit even in good lighting, making the screen look darker than usual.
Night shift ON
The Night Shift feature decreases the screen light to prevent any strain on the eyes of the user. When this mode is turned ON, the screen looks darker as the iPad cannot increase the screen brightness on its own.
True Tone OFF
The True Tone feature of your iPad adjusts the color and screen light intensity depending upon the ambient light. When it is turned OFF and you are using your iPad in a brightly lit environment, the iPad will be unable to adjust the color and intensity. So, the screen looks darker than usual.
Why is my iPad screen so dark even at full brightness?
The reasons for a iPad screen being too dark is because True Tone is turned off, or because Power Saving Mode is enabled.
Your iPad screen will be dark even at full brightness if the True Tone is manually turned OFF on your iPad. The True Tone feature increases and decreases the light intensity depending upon the light in your environment.
Your iPad screen may also be dark if the Power Saving mode is enabled on your iPad.
- True Tone setting turned OFF
- Power Saving mode enabled
These issues can be fixed by following the steps given below.
- Turn the True Tone setting ON in your iPad by opening the Settings app on your iPad. Go to the Display and Brightness option and tap on the True Tone option to turn it OFF.
- Turn the Power Saving mode OFF by opening Settings on your iPad and choosing the Battery option. Select the Low Power Mode option and tap on it to turn it ON.
You can add this option to the main Control Center of your iPad, which is easily accessible by dragging the screen down. To do this, go to Settings and select Control Center followed by the Customize Control Center option. Add the Low Power Mode option to the Control Center. This customization allows you to turn the Power Saving mode ON and OFF more easily.
How do I make my iPad screen brighter?
You can make your iPad screen brighter than usual by reducing the white point levels of your iPad. The Reduce White Point setting adjusts the brightness of your screen. You can reduce the white point level on your screen to make it brighter.
To fix this, follow the steps given below.
- Go to the Settings app on your iPad.
- Scroll down to the Accessibility option.
- Select the Display and Text Size option. Scroll to the bottom of the menu to find the Reduce White Point option.
- Drag the slider to the extreme left side to increase the brightness of the screen further.
Why is my iPad auto-brightness not working?
Your iPad auto-brightness may not be working because of Night Shift turned ON, outdated software of your iPad or the auto-brightness feature turned OFF.
- Night shift turned ON.
- Outdated software
- Auto-brightness turned OFF
To fix this issue of your iPad auto-brightness not working, follow the steps given below.
- To turn OFF the Night Shift mode, open the iPad settings and go to the Display and Brightness option. Tap on Night Shift to turn it OFF.
- Update the software of your iPad to fix the issue of auto-brightness not working on your iPad. Sometimes, some features become unavailable or stop working when the software of your iPad is outdated.
To update the software, open Settings and tap on your name at the top of the screen. Select the Software Update option and check for updates. If there are any updates, install them on your iPad and see if the auto-brightness features start working or not.
- If the above steps still don’t work, open the Settings app again and choose the Accessibility Select the Display and Text Size option and tap on the auto-brightness once or twice and see if it works or not and then turn it ON.
Is there a Magic Keyboard shortcut for iPad brightness?
Yes, there is a magic keyboard shortcut for iPad brightness. If you press F2 on your keyboard, the brightness of your iPad screen will screen. On the other hand, if you press F1, the brightness of your iPad screen will decrease.
- F1: Lower the screen brightness
- F2: Increase the screen brightness
Best iPad brightness settings
The best brightness settings for your iPad are automatic true tone turned ON, automatic night shift turned ON, auto-brightness turned ON and automatic dark mode turned ON. You can turn ON all these features by following the steps given below.
- To turn ON automatic night shift, go to Settings>Display and Brightness>Night Shift. Tap on it to enable this feature.
- To turn ON automatic true tone, go to Settings>Display and Brightness>True Tone. Tap on it to allow automatic true tone feature to get activated.
- To turn the auto-brightness ON, open Settings>Accessibility>Display and Text Size. Tap on the auto-brightness option to activate this feature.
- To turn the automatic dark mode ON, open Settings>Display and Brightness>Dark Mode. Tap on this option to set this feature.
Why does my iPad screen keep changing with auto brightness off?
Your iPad screen may keep changing with auto-brightness turned OFF if you have other display options such as Night Shift, Dark Mode and True Tone set to change automatically. You can fix this issue by turning the automatic feature OFF on your iPad for these settings. Follow the steps given below to do this.
- To turn OFF the automatic dark mode feature on your iPad, go to the Settings app of your iPad. Choose the Display and Brightness option. Tap on the Automatic option to turn it OFF.
- To turn the automatic night shift feature OFF, go to Settings and select the Display and Brightness feature. Choose the Night Shift option and tap on Scheduled to turn the night shift scheduling OFF.
- To turn OFF the automatic true tone feature on your iPad, go to the Settings app and select the Display and Brightness option. Tap on the True Tone option to turn it OFF.
Why does my iPad brightness go dim in sunlight?
Your iPad brightness may go dim in sunlight when you have turned the automatic screen brightness feature OFF. The auto-brightness feature adjusts the brightness of the iPad screen by itself.
So, when you go out in sunlight, the screen brightness is increased to the highest levels whereas when you come in a shady place, the screen brightness is lowered depending upon the light in the area.
You can fix this issue by turning ON the auto-brightness feature on your iPad. To do this, follow the steps given below.
- Open the Settings app of your iPad.
- Go to the Accessibility option by scrolling down the list of options.
- Select the Display and Text Size option.
- Turn the option for auto-brightness ON.
- To increase the brightness of your screen further in sunlight, go to Settings again.
- Select the Accessibility option and go to the Display and Text Size option. At the bottom of the screen, you will see an option called Reduce White Point.
- Tap on it and move the slider to the extreme left side to increase the screen brightness.
How to fix an iPad Pro screen that is too dark?
Your iPad Pro screen may be too dark because of Night Shift and Dark Mode features turned ON manually.
The Night Shift feature changes the screen light to a warmer color at night whereas the Dark Mode feature changes the color scheme of your screen to darker colors to prevent excess strain on the eyes of the user in lowly lit conditions.
You can fix this issue by changing the settings to change automatically depending upon the lighting in your environment.
- To schedule the Dark Mode feature to turn ON and OFF automatically, go to the settings of your iPad.
- Select the Display and Brightness option from the list.
- Select the Automatic option to turn it ON. A list of options to turn ON will open.
- Choose either of the available options, that is, either Sunset to Sunrise or Custom.
- If you select the first option, which is Sunset to Sunrise, the iPad uses the clock to determine when to turn ON and OFF the dark mode on your iPad.
- If you select the Custom option, you will have to manually schedule the time when you want the Dark Mode to turn ON and OFF.
- To change the Night Shift feature to turn ON and OFF automatically, go to the Settings app of your iPad.
- Select Display and Brightness and go to the Night Shift feature.
- Turn the Scheduled option ON. Adjust the color balance of your screen by dragging the slider left and right.
- Tap on the From option and select the time at which you would like the Night Shift mode to turn ON.
- Select Sunset to Sunrise if you want your iPad to use the inbuilt clock and determine the nighttime automatically.
- Select the Custom option if you want to manually set the time to turn ON the Night Shift mode.
How to fix an iPad Mini screen that is too dark?
You can fix an iPad Mini screen which is too dark by charging it, hard resetting it or putting your iPad in a DFU mode. However, you must try the third option only after backing up your iPad’s data in some other device.
To fix an iPad Mini screen which is too dark, follow the steps given below:
- Plug-in the charger of your iPad and see if the Apple logo appears on the screen. You may see the logo within two or three minutes.
- To hard reset your iPad, press and hold the Home and Power buttons simultaneously for around 25-30 seconds. The Apple logo should appear on the screen by now. This should fix your problem. If it doesn’t, move on to the next step after taking a backup of the files stored in your iPad Mini.
- Put your iPad in a DFU reset mode and your problem of dark screen on iPad Mini will be solved.