Why does my PS5 keep turning OFF by itself?
Your PS5 is turning OFF by itself due to overheating issues, rest mode, activated HDMI device link, outdated software, power supply issues or overexertion.
- Overheating Issues
- Rest Mode
- Activated HDMI Device Link
- Outdated Software
- Power Supply Issues
Table of Contents
- Overheating Issues: If your console becomes too hot or reaches its highest temperature, it’ll automatically turn OFF by showing you the message Your PS5 is too hot.
- Rest Mode: The Rest or Idle Mode of PS5 can make it turn OFF randomly without any prior instructions.
- Activated HDMI Device Link: If your PS5 is linked to your TV via an HDMI, the console will keep turning ON and OFF without any notification at the same time your TV turns ON and OFF.
- Outdated Software: If you haven’t updated your Sony PlayStation in a while, the outdated software is causing this turning OFF issue again and again.
- Power Supply Issues: Sometimes, the power supply unit of PS5 can experience issues, which can cause the device to turn OFF. That’s because the console isn’t getting sufficient power to run.
- Overexertion: If you are downloading other games during gameplay, the console may turn OFF by itself because there’s too much exertion on the device.
Why does my PS5 crash and turn OFF?
Your PS5 may crash and turn OFF due to Rest Mode, overheating problem, outdated system software, HDMI device link or hardware issues.
Here’s how you can turn the Rest Mode OFF and avoid the issue:
- Go to Settings > System > Power Saving.
- Click Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- Change the During Media Playback and While Playing Games options to Don’t Put In Rest Mode.
The console automatically turns OFF to cool down when there’s an overheating problem. Some signs of overheating are a hot surface, a changed or distorted screen color, slow loading of the device or fans not spinning properly.
To avoid the overheating problem, here’s what you need to do:
- Keep your PS5 in a well-ventilated space to make sure cool air enters the device.
- Clean the device to make sure dust build-up isn’t causing the overheating issue.
- Check if the fan or fan blades are damaged and do the appropriate replacement if needed.
Outdated System Software
You need to update your console’s operating systems to resolve this issue and increase its performance.
Here’s a method that you can follow:
- Make sure your PS5 is connected online.
- Go to Settings > System > System Software > Update and Settings. If there’s an update available, it’ll show Update Available.
- Click Update System Software.
HDMI Device Link
You need to turn the HDMI device link feature OFF to stop your console from turning OFF on its own:
- Navigate Settings > System > HDMI.
- Turn the HDMI Device Link option OFF.
- Hardware Issues: There can be connection issues due to faulty plugs and other causes. You can check the plug connection and if that doesn’t help, you can consider contacting the customer care team of Sony to resolve this issue.
Why does my PS5 turn OFF by itself while playing games?
Your PS5 turns OFF by itself while playing games due to overheating, rest mode or overexertion.
If your PS5 gets overheated during gameplay, it can automatically switch OFF without giving you any instructions.
Here’s how you can tell if your PS5 console is overheating:
- The console’s fan will spin slower than usual.
- The device’s body will get warm.
- Your PS5 may take longer to load.
- The screen color will change.
To avoid overheating PS5 issues, you can do the following:
- Clean your PS5 so that dust build-up doesn’t overheat the device. This includes the fans as well.
- Position your PS5 in a cool and ventilated area.
If you have switched ON the Rest Mode, your PS5 can turn OFF while playing games. To turn this Mode OFF, you can do the following:
- Click Settings > System > Power Saving > Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- Change the While Playing Games and During Media Playback options to Don’t Put In Rest Mode.
Sometimes, the console turns OFF when there’s too much going on. If the device is switching OFF during gameplay, you need to avoid downloading other games or software while playing a game.
Why does my PS5 turn OFF by itself in Rest Mode?
Your PS5 is turning OFF by itself in Rest Mode because of a timer. When you turn the Rest Mode feature ON, the device allows you to set the time until it enters this mode.
Suppose you’re playing a game and midway, your PS5 automatically turns OFF without giving any notification or instruction.
It can be because of the power-saving feature named Rest Mode, which is turned ON. The Rest Mode feature mainly allows you to enhance the life of your device by putting it to sleep after a certain point in time.
As you open the Power Saving menu under Settings, you’ll find an option Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode. With the help of this option, you can set your preferred time to put the device on Rest Mode.
If you set 2 hours, your PS5 console will turn OFF exactly after continuous usage of 2 hours.
If this feature seems to bother you, the best way to fix the issue is by turning the Rest Mode OFF. Here’s how you can do it:
- Go to the Settings
- Click System from the given options.
- Choose Power Saving from the left panel options.
- Click Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode. You’ll see the During Media Playback and While Playing Games
- Change both of them to Don’t Put In Rest Mode.
Why does my PlayStation keep going into Rest Mode?
Your PlayStation keeps going into Rest Mode because this feature has been enabled. As a power-saving feature, it’s turning your console OFF after a specific time of usage.
Rest Mode is an advanced feature in PS5, gaming consoles and other electronic devices that help the users to protect their gadgets with a longer shelf life.
The purpose of this feature is to avoid power drainage when the device is being overused. Therefore, it allows the users to set a timer on how long the device will be active and once the time is over, the device will turn OFF automatically without any prior notification.
This feature can ruin your experience when you’re in the midway of a game. You can turn the feature OFF to resolve the issue by following the steps below:
- Go to the Settings menu and click System.
- Click Power Savingfollowed by Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- Change the two options During Media Playback as well as While Playing Games to Don’t Put In Rest Mode.
Why does my PS5 keep turning OFF mid-game?
Your PS5 keeps turning OFF mid-game due to loose connection, overheating or an activated Rest Mode feature.
Your console is connected with power through plugs and cables. If there’s a connection issue such as a loose connection, your PS5 will switch OFF randomly in the middle of a game. To avoid this issue, you can do the following:
- Check if your PS5 is connected to the power outlet properly.
- Make sure the cables and plug points are in working condition.
- If any cable is damaged, replacing it with a new one will be the best solution.
Your console may get overheated if you place it in a congested area. Playing video games constantly can also lead to overexertion, which can overheat your PS5. If overheating is causing your device to turn OFF, you can do the following:
- Make sure you place the device in a cool, airy zone.
- Clean your PS5 regularly to avoid dust build-up on its surface and fans.
One of the most common causes of PS5 turning off mid-game is Rest Mode. You can disable this feature by following the steps below:
- Open the Settings menu > System > Power Saving > Set Time Until PS5 Enters Rest Mode.
- Set the During Media Playback and While Playing Games options to Don’t Put In Rest Mode.
Why does PS5 turns OFF by itself and won’t turn on?
Your PS5 may turn OFF by itself and won’t turn ON due to overheating issues. This happens when the device has become too hot due to excess use or wrong placement.
Overheating occurs when your console is not having adequate airflow to run properly. Some elements like dust can obstruct the air vents of the PS5 and cause this problem. The body of the device will become too hot and you will also be able to hear the sound of the fan spinning inside the device.
If you want to get rid of overheating issue, you can try the following:
- Keep your console in a spacious and well-ventilated area.
- Keep the console clean and absolutely dust-free.
Why is my PS5 not turning ON but beeping?
Your PS5 isn’t turning ON but making a beep sound is because there’s an overheating issue. If your console becomes too hot, it’ll switch OFF automatically and won’t turn ON until it cools down.
Overheating occurs most of the time due to a wrong placement. So you need to choose a large and airy space to keep the console. Dust build-up can also lead to this issue and hence, you need to keep the device clean all the time.
Why PS5 won’t turn ON but beeps 3 times?
If your PS5 doesn’t turn ON but beeps 3 times, it’s beause of an overheating issue.
Here’s how you can resolve this issue:
- Make sure you place your PS5 in a spacious and cool area so that the device gets enough airflow.
- You need to clean the console regularly to avoid this issue.
Why is my PS5 turning on but has no display?
If your PS5 is turning ON but has no display, it can be due to a damaged HDMI port or cable. You need to check for the damage carefully after turning your PS5 OFF and opt for a replacement.
If the problem occurs because of a loose connection, you can tighten the loose cable to restore the connection and turn your console ON. If you find exposed wires or any other type of damage, you need to replace the HDMI cable with a new one.
Why is my PS5 stuck on a black screen?
If your PS5 is stuck on a black screen, it means your console hasn’t booted up properly.
You can try restarting your PS5 to resolve this problem. If the black screen is still there, the PS5 video output is most probably not compatible with your TV.
How to fix the PS5 black screen?
To fix the PS5 black screen, you can try disabling HDR, turning OFF deep color temp and lowering the resolution.
Disable HDR: You can try disabling HDR to fix the black screen issue of your PS5.
- Go to System > Screen and Video.
- Turn OFF 4K HDR.
Turn OFF Deep Color Temp
By turning OFF the Deep color temp feature, you can fix the black screen issue.
Follow the steps below to do it:
- Go to System > Screen and Video.
- Turn the Deep color temp feature OFF.
Lower the Resolution
You can try lowering the game resolution to resolve the black screen issue. Follow the steps below to do it:
- Go to PS5 Settings > Change Video Output.
- Click Change Resolution and enter a lower resolution.
Why is my PS5 not turning on but showing a white light?
If your PS5 isn’t turning ON but showing a white light, it means that the device is in the frozen state. You may need to troubleshoot to resolve this issue.
Here’s how you can reset your PS5 to fix this problem:
- Go to Settings (cog icon) > System software.
- Navigate to Reset options > Reset your console>Reset.
Why does my PS5 have a black screen and flashing blue light?
If your PlayStation 5 has a black screen and is flashing blue light, it means the device has had a hard shutdown or a pending software update.
To fix the above issue, you can try the following methods:
- Turn OFF and Unplug PS5: The first thing you need to do is to shut down the device and unplug it. Follow the steps below to do it:
- Hold the Power button until the PS5 turns OFF.
- Unplug the cables and wait for at least 1 minute.
- Reconnect and turn the PS5 ON.
- Software Update: You may need to update the system software of your device if it’s updated. Follow the steps below to do it:
- Hold the Power button of the PS5 and release it after the beep sound.
- Connect the PS5 with your controller via a USB cable and press PS button on the controller.
- Click Update System Software>Update Using Internet>Update from USB Drive.
Why is my PS5 light white instead of blue?
If your PS5 light is white instead of blue, it can be due to console errors such as a frozen device. To fix this issue, you may need to reset the console
How to reset a PS5:
- Open Settings (cog icon) > System software > Reset options.
- Press Reset your console > Reset.
Why won’t my PS5 boot up?
If your PS5 starts but doesn’t boot up, it requires a power cycle.
Here’s how you can power cycle your PlayStation 5:
- Hold the Power button on your PS5 down till your PS5 turns OFF.
- Let your console rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Reconnect it using another power cable.
PS5 won’t boot past logo
If your PS5 doesn’t boot past the logo, it’s because the console needs a hard reset.You need to clear the cache memory and do a hard reset to resolve this issue.
Follow the steps below to do it:
- Press the Power button for at least 10 seconds till it turns OFF.
- Unplug the cables and again hold the power button down for a while.
The above steps will clear the cache memory and do a hard reset.
PS5 won’t go into Safe Mode
If your PS5 isn’t going into Safe Mode, it’s because of wiring, the usage of an HDMI splitter or a game capture card or a pending power cycle.
- Check the video output and cables and tighten loose cables to fix this issue.
- Disconnect the HDMI splitter or capture card and connect the HDMI cable to the TV or monitor directly.
- Do a power cycle of your PS5 by following the steps mentioned above.