Why does XBOX SERIES X controller keep disconnecting?
The main reason why a XBOX SERIES X controller keeps disconnecting is due to a pending firmware update, too many accessories are plugged into your console, the controller is too far away from the console, or a drained battery.
- Pending firmware update
- Too many accessories plugged into your console
- Controller placed at a long distance from your XBOX
- Drained batteries
Pending firmware update
Outdated firmware is one of the key factors that disrupt the connectivity of your XBOX Series X. You have to ensure that it is always updated.
Too many accessories plugged into your console
Too many accessories plugged into the console often cause the controller disconnection. You have to disconnect accessories like chat pads or stereo headset adaptors from the controller.
Controller placed at a long distance from your XBOX
You have to keep the controller and the XBOX in close proximity to enjoy a seamless experience.
When the controller’s batteries are drained out, it tends to keep disconnecting. You have to replace them with new batteries.
How do I fix my XBOX SERIES X controller not connecting?
You can fix your XBOX SERIES X controller that is not connecting by doing a power cycle of the console, re-pairing the console and the controller, or updating the console.
Getting disconnected during a thrilling game can get exasperating. Let’s understand how to fix this.
Power cycle the console
- Press and hold the Power button of the console for ten seconds and then turn it OFF.
- Unplug all the cables of the console for about thirty seconds.
- Press and hold the Power button to drain the console of all power.
- Plug in all the cables and press the Power button to switch ON the console.
- Connect the devices.
Repair the controller with the console
- Press the Power button to switch ON your console.
- Turn ON the controller by pressing the Xbox button on your controller.
- Press and hold the Pair button on the front bottom till you see the light flash.
- Hold down the Pair button of the controller till you see the XBOX button flash.
- Once the lights start blinking in a coordinated manner, the controller will be paired with the XBOX.
Update the console
- On your controller, press the XBOX button.
- Go to Profile & System and select Settings.
- Go to System and select Updates.
What do you do if your XBOX SERIES X controller won’t turn on?
If your XBOX Series X controller won’t turn on, it’s because of corrupt firmware, faulty charging cable, or an internal fault.
These problems can be easily resolved if you follow the instructions given below.
- Corrupt firmware
- Press the XBOX button on the console to open the guide.
- Go to Profile & System and then go to Accessories.
- Select the controller that is not functioning.
- Click… and check for firmware update.
- Faulty charging cable
- Check the charging cable for any defects across its length.
- Test the cable with another controller.
- Ensure the cable is firmly connected to the USB port of the console as well as to the USB-C or micro-USB ports of the controller.
- If the charging cable is damaged, you will have to replace it with a new one.
- Internal fault
Damaged or worn-out internal components due to over-usage cause failure of the controllers.
Internal faults within the console are best serviced by the brand’s technicians. You will have to take the console to the official dealer of the brand.
How do I resync my XBOX SERIES X controller?
You can resync your XBOX SERIES X wirelessly or with a USB-C cable.
The tips given below are some of the ways in which you can resync your XBOX SERIES X controller.
- Resync your XBOX SERIES X controller wirelessly
- On your controller, press and hold the XBOX logo button for about 10 seconds until it gets switched OFF.
- Repeat the same action until your controller is switched ON. The XBOX button starts flashing slowly.
- Press and hold the Binding button on top of the controller. The XBOX button flashes speedily indicating it’s in a pairing mode.
- Press the Binding button on your XBOX console and hold it down.
- Point your XBOX controller towards your console. When the lights on both devices glow consistently, the resync activity is completed.
- Use a USB-C cable to resync your XBOX controller
- On your XBOX, press and hold the Power button until it is switched OFF, and disconnect the power supply for about a minute.
- Connect your XBOX console and your XBOX controller with a USB cable.
- Hard-press the XBOX button to switch ON your XBOX console.
- Disconnect the USB cable after the XBOX console has been totally charged.
Why is my XBOX SERIES X controller not working on PC?
Your XBOX SERIES X controller is not working on your PC because of a pending update of firmware, physical interferences, or a pending troubleshoot.
Follow the steps given below to overcome these issues.
- Update the firmware
- Download and install the XBOX Accessories app.
- Use the USB cable to connect your controller and PC.
- Open the XBOX accessories software.
- Click on Update and close the software.
- Remove physical interferences between the XBOX and your PC
- Remove all active Bluetooth devices which lie in the direct path of your XBOX and your PC as they tend to disrupt the signals.
- Reduce the number of Bluetooth devices that are running actively.
- Run a troubleshoot
- Type settings in the Searchbar.
- Select Update & Security.
- Under Troubleshoot settings, click on Additional Troubleshooters.
- Select Hardware and Devices.
- Click on Run the Troubleshooter.
Why won’t my XBOX SERIES X controller stay connected to my PC?
Your XBOX SERIES X controller does not stay connected to your PC due to a pending software update, faulty cables, or a pending power reset of your console.
These are commonplace issues and you can overcome them by reading the following instructions.
- Pending software update
- Ensure your console has a secure connection to the internet.
- Press the XBOX button to open its guide.
- Select Profile & system.
- Go to Settings and then go to System and click on Updates.
- Under Updates, select Console Update available.
- Faulty cables
- Examine the cables for any minor abrasions.
- Ensure the cable is always firmly connected to the USB port of your console and the micro-USB or USB-C port of the controller.
- If you find the cables damaged, replace them with new ones.
- Power reset
- Turn OFF the controller and the console.
- Unplug all cables from the console.
- After 2 minutes, plug in all the cables on your console and switch it ON.
- Switch ON your controller.
Why my XBOX SERIES X controller won’t update?
Your XBOX SERIES X controller won’t update because of a weak wireless connection, too many devices connected to your console or your controller has moved into sleep mode.
These minor glitches can be easily fixed by you in the following way.
- Weak wireless connection
- Check your Wi-Fi router and ensure that it isn’t causing any disruption of other wireless signals in your home.
- Place your controller always within 30 feet of your console.
- Too many devices connected to your console
The XBOX supports only eight devices at a single point in time. If your XBOX has more than eight devices, disconnect at least one or more of them for your controller to function properly.
- The controller has moved into a sleep mode
If the XBOX is inactive for some time, the controller enters into sleep mode.
- Open the keyboard control panel.
- Click on the Hardware tab.
- Click on Properties.
- Click the Change Settings button.
- Click on the Power Management tab.
- Check the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer.
How do I connect my XBOX SERIES X controller to my USB?
You can connect your XBOX Series X controller to your USB with a wired connection, i.e., with a micro-USB cable/a USB-C cable, or with a wireless connection using the Pair button on the console.
- Wired connection – connect with a micro-USB cable
- Plug the small end of the cable into the slot present on the back of the controller.
- Insert the USB plug firmly into a port present on the console.
- Wireless connection -with the Pair button on the console
- Press and hold the Sync button present on top of the controller.
- When the XBOX button begins to flash, press the Pair button on the console.
Why won’t my XBOX SERIES X controller connect with USB?
Your XBOX Series X controller doesn’t connect with USB due to defective or incompatible USB cables, other USB devices disrupting wireless signals or a due update of the controller.
- Defective or incompatible USB cables
- Check for any cracks or minor defects on the cable.
- Ensure the cable is always firmly inserted into the console’s USB port.
- Examine the connection of the cable to the controller’s micro-USB or USB-C port.
- If the cable has developed cracks or fissures, replace it with a new one.
- USB devices disrupting wireless signals
- Unplug all the USB devices connected to your PC or XBOX, keyboards, external hard drives,or other wired controllers.
- Restart your PC or XBOX.
- Try to connect the controller with the USB device.
- Due update of the Controller
- Press the XBOX button to open the guide.
- Under Profile &System, select Settings.
- Select Accessories under Device & connections.
- On the XBOX wireless controller screen, click the …symbol.
- Check the firmware version for your controller.
- If the Update option is available, click on Update.
- Follow the on-screen prompts.
Why is my XBOX Series X controller not connecting to the wireless adapter?
Your XBOX Series X controller is not connecting to the wireless adapter because of a large distance between the controller and the adapter, or the adapter drivers didn’t auto-install.
Follow the steps given below to resolve these issues:
- Check the distance between the controller and the adapter
- Ensure the controller is within a range of 6 meters of the adapter.
- Remove all physical hindrances which obstruct the line of sight between the two devices.
- Refrain from placing the adapter directly on a metal surface.
- Rebind your controller to the console
- Press the Pair button on the console, followed by the Pair button on the controller.
- If the LED light flashes seamlessly, the binding has taken place successfully.
- Unplug the adapter and reboot the device.
- Plug in the adapter again.
- Adapter drivers didn’t auto-install
- Go to Device manager.
- Locate the XBOX wireless adaptor for Windows and right-click on it.
- In the Properties window, click the Driver tab and click Uninstall Device.
- In the confirmation window, tick-mark the box next to Delete the driver software for this device.
- Unplug the XBOX wireless adaptor for Windows.
- Reboot Windows and then plug in the adapter.
XBOX Series X controller won’t connect after sleep mode?
Your XBOX Series X controller won’t connect after sleep mode because of a due factory reset, or an enabled sleep mode.
Let’s fix these minor glitches by following the instructions given below.
- Due factory reset
- Turn OFF your console completely.
- Unplug the network and power cables and plug the cables after 30 seconds.
- Hard-press the Eject and Bind buttons on your console for at least 15 seconds and simultaneously press the XBOX power button.
- Release only the XBOX button. The Startup Troubleshooter for the XBOX will appear.
- In Settings, select Reset this XBOX.
- Disable the sleep mode
- On your controller, press the Xbox button.
- Go to Profile and System and select Settings.
- Under Settings, go to the General tab.
- Click on Sleep mode & startup.
- Go to Sleep mode.
- Select Energy saver.