Why Does My Asus Laptop Keep Shutting Off?
A Asus laptop can keep shutting off because of overheating, a faulty battery, or incorrect power management settings.
Some of the common causes as to why your Asus laptop keeps shutting off are:
- CPU or GPU is Overheating
- Default Power management settings
- Battery is faulty
- Hardware failure
- Virus attack
More often than not, (90 % of the times), Asus laptops shut down randomly because of overheating.
Overheating is generally a direct outcome of the overuse of the laptop.
Another rare cause of an overheated laptop is working with the laptop in a hot temperature area. Overheating can also occur because of failure in the cooling mechanism of your laptop. Failure to clean dust can also lead to overheating.
Most laptops, be it of any brand, often fall prey to overheating, especially after years of use. Overheating can cause your laptop to shut down to cool off.
- DEFAULT POWER MANAGEMENT SETTINGS
You may find that your default power management settings are causing the random turning off of your Asus laptop. Check to see if it is the reason behind your problem.
- FAULTY BATTERY
If you are excessively charging your laptop or if you have used it for quite some time, then the battery is the problem. It probably needs replacement or repair.
- HARDWARE FAILURE
Hardware failure is another one of the causes that can lead to your Asus laptop randomly shutting down. You may need to seek a technician’s help in the case of hardware failure. Have all the parts of your laptop checked by a technician.
How to Fix a Asus Laptop that Keeps Turning Off
METHOD 1: REMOVE THE DIRT IN THE FANS
As mentioned above, overheating can lead to your laptop turning off randomly. And one of the causes behind overheating is the dirt stuck in the fans. This dirt can affect the fan’s ability to cool down your Asus laptop.
Thus, the basic troubleshooting that you can do in this case is to clean the vents.
- Check whether the fans are working properly or not.
- Then, begin with the cleaning.
- Remove all the dust, hair, and other gunk that you find.
- You can use a radiator for the same.
METHOD 2: REPLACE YOUR LAPTOP CHARGER
If your Asus laptop keeps turning off even when you charge the laptop, you may have to change your charger.
Maybe the charger that you have does not give the required number of volts. Take your laptop along with you and then buy a charger. Your laptop may rank high on the list of volts required.
Thus, change your charger to prevent your laptop from turning off.
METHOD 3: CHECK THE HARDWARE FOR ANY CLUES
If you can think of any faulty hardware parts in your laptop, get it checked and replace them.
If you have recently installed new hardware to your laptop, then try removing it. Check to see if the problem persists. If it does, then discard it.
Asus laptop keeps turning off when starting up
METHOD 1: RUN THE POWER TROUBLESHOOTER
If your laptop keeps turning off when starting up, then follow these steps:
- Press the combination of the Windows key and the letter X key.
- Click on the Control Panel.
- Click on Troubleshooting.
- Navigate to View All present on the left side.
- Now, click on Power Troubleshooter to run power troubleshooting.
METHOD 2: RUN A VIRUS SCAN
You may find that a virus or malware attack is behind your Asus laptop turning off when starting up. Scan your laptop with free antivirus software. Let the software detect any viruses, spyware, and other malware and delete it.
Check to see if the problem persists.
If it does, you may have to seek the help of a technician.
How to Fix Asus laptop that keeps turning off randomly
METHOD 1: WINDOWS BOOT GENIUS
If your Asus laptop is randomly switched off, you can try the Windows Boot Genius to fix this random turning off. Follow the steps given below:
- Download and install the Windows Boot Genius on a computer.
- Launch the program by clicking on its icon.
- Insert a blank CD or DVD or USB drive.
- When the computer and the software recognize it click on Burn.
- Now, take out this CD or DVD or USB drive from the computer.
- Load it into the Asus laptop.
- Click on Windows Rescue.
- Then, choose Crash after loading bar.
- Windows will put up some prompts. Follow them to fix your problem.
METHOD 2: CHECK FOR VIRUSES
You may find that a virus or malware attack is behind your Asus laptop turning off. Scan your laptop for any viruses or malware.
Asus laptop keeps turning off when plugged in
METHOD 1: UNINSTALL THE BATTERY DRIVER
Another case in point is when your Asus laptop turns off when you are charging it. Sometimes, it may turn off when you remove the power cord or connect it to the power cord. In such an instance, follow the steps given below:
- Click on Start.
- Input Device Manager into the search box and select it from the list of search results.
- Select Batteries to expand it.
- Now, right-click the ACPI options.
- Click on Uninstall.
- This will uninstall the battery driver.
- Now, reboot your system.
- Also, you don’t need to worry about the lost battery driver. The operating system automatically installs it after a reboot.
Asus laptop keeps shutting down when the lid is closed
METHOD 1: CHANGE YOUR PLAN SETTINGS
To fix this, just follow the steps to change your settings because most of the time, it is the operating system’s settings that are at fault. The steps are as follows:
- Click on start. Now, type in Power Options in the Search box.
- Do not press Enter.
- From the list of search results that pop up, left-click on the Power Option icon.
- Now, left-click on Change Plan Settings. You will find it on the active power profile.
- Under Edit plan settings, left-click on Change Advanced Power settings.
- Navigate to the Power Buttons and lid and select the plus (+) sign.
- Click on the plus sign again. This time, however, click on the one under Lid Close Action.
- Now, choose the options for which you want lid close actions when on Battery or when power.
- After you have chosen the options you need, click on Apply.
- Check to see if the problem persists.
Asus laptop keeps turning off when plugged in
METHOD 1: CHECK THE HARDWARE PARTS FOR ANY CLUES
If you can think of any faulty hardware parts in your laptop that need repair or replacement, get it checked and then replace them if needed.
If you have recently installed new hardware to your laptop, then try removing it. Check to see if the problem persists. If it does, then avoid using it.
METHOD 2: CLEAN THE AIR VENTS
You might want to clean the vents and fans of your laptop. This cleaning will prevent overheating in your laptop and, thus, will prevent the laptop from turning off when plugged in.
Asus laptop keeps turning off during the BIOS update
METHOD 1: BOOT IN SAFE MODE
- From a blank screen, you need to enter the Windows recovery environment to enter into a safe mood.
- Press the power button for about 10 seconds to turn off your device.
- Now, press the power button again to turn on the laptop.
- Now, repeat this exercise twice.
- Let your device to restart fully.
- This will take you in the WinRE (Windows recovery environment)
- Now, we move to the safe mode.
- Your laptop will display the Choose an Option screen.
- Navigate to Troubleshoot and select Advanced Options.
- Next, click on Startup Settings.
- Click on Restart.
- When your device restarts, the screen will display a list of options.
- Press F5 or choose the option five from the list for Safe Mode with Networking.
Asus laptop turning off when unplugged
METHOD 1: ADAPTIVE BRIGHTNESS
If your Asus laptop is turning off again and again when you have unplugged it, it may lie in the settings that the operating system set on default ever since you bought it.
You can easily change the Power Management settings of your operating system. Just do the following:
- Click on Start.
- Search for Power Plan and choose it from the list of search results.
- Now, click on Edit Power Plan.
- Next, select the Change advance Power settings.
- Navigate to the Processor Power management and click on it. This will give you an expanded list.
- Now, click on the Maximum Processor state to expand it.
- From there, lower the on battery option to 20% or any percentage that suits you.
- Now, click on Display and select Enable adaptive brightness.
- Turn it on for on battery as well as plugged in options.
- Check if the problem persists.
Asus laptop keeps turning off due to overheating
To fix your laptop that turns off due to overheating, you can clean the vents and fans. Also, you can get the laptop checked for the failure of the cooling mechanism.
Further, you may have to seek a technician’s help.
Asus laptop turns off when moved
The reason behind your Asus laptop turning off when you move even a bit is the battery’s placement.
Check if you have fit in the battery properly. A broken notch or loose-fitting or out-of-place battery can trigger a laptop, and it may shut down when you move.
Seek a technician’s help if you lack the experience to do this.