Why is my battery light blinking on my HP laptop?
The main reason why the battery light on an HP laptop blinks is when the laptop is not charging correctly, or it has outdated BIOS and corrupt battery drivers.
Table of Contents
It’s a safeguard system to notify the user that the laptop needs immediate attention to avoid further damage.
- Low battery charge
- Incorrectly charging battery
- Defective battery charger or battery
- Outdated battery drivers
- Outdated BIOS
- Pending hard reset
As mentioned above, outdated battery drivers, outdated BIOS, or a pending hard reset can also cause the blinking battery light problem.
Low battery charge
If the battery of the HP laptop is low on charge, the battery light blinks to let the user know that he/she should charge the battery immediately.
Incorrectly charging battery
The battery light tends to keep blinking if the battery isn’t getting charged properly. The reason for this could be as simple as a loose connection of the charger to the laptop or the charging cord to the battery.
Defective battery or battery charger
The battery and battery charger tend to wear out over time and not function properly causing a blinking battery light. In such cases, a replacement needs to be done.
Outdated battery drivers
You may find the battery light of your HP laptop blinking if the associated drivers are outdated. The update to the most recent version can be done through the Device Manager window.
Like the battery drivers, an outdated BIOS can trigger a blinking battery light. The blinking will stop when the BIOS is updated. It’s recommended to do the BIOS update with full attention as this can even affect the functionality of the laptop.
Pending hard reset
The battery light is likely to keep blinking when a hard reset is pending for quite some time. If your laptop supports this option, you must remove the battery before doing this reset.
Some of the other reasons behind a blinking battery light could be:
- The battery that has lost its capacity to hold the charge and needs replacement
- A damaged connecting cord of the charger
- Wear and tear of the charging port
- Faulty internal components such as the motherboard or RAM
- A firmware issue
Users who have been using their laptops for a long duration might have to get the battery replaced. An alternative solution would be to use the laptop by keeping it plugged in during usage. When directly connected, the device will not be able to run in case there is a power failure.
To check if the problem has been fixed, you can try doing the following:
- Rebooting the machine is the first step to check if it has resolved the issue.
- If the HP laptop has been in use for two or three years, the service personnel may suggest a battery replacement.
- A damaged power cord or power adapter can be replaced to solve the problem.
- Use a different and working power cord to confirm if the issue is with the power source.
- Consider visiting the service and warranty claims hub to allow them to pinpoint the component that needs replacement.
HP laptop light blink codes
|Color of Light||State||Meaning|
|White||Blinking||The battery is not getting charged properly.|
|Orange||Blinking||The battery or its charger is faulty.|
|White and Orange||Continuously or intermittently blinking||There is an issue with the motherboard, RAM, hard disk, or battery.|
|White||Blinks 3 times||The battery is affected by prolonged usage.|
|White||Blinks 5 Times||The battery and charging port have problems.|
|Red||Solid state||There is a serious internal issue. This can be related to the charging port, the battery, or internal components.|
|No Light||Blank||The laptop is no longer usable. It’s better to contact service personnel for further diagnosis.|
Why is my HP laptop not turning on and the power light blinking?
Your HP laptop is not turning ON and the power light is blinking when the laptop is unable to receive power through the charger or has a battery issue that couldn’t be resolved. It’s essential to find out whether the issue is with the battery or the charging brick.
How to fix a HP laptop not turning on and the power light is blinking
You can fix an HP laptop that is not turning ON and the power light is blinking checking for a faulty battery or battery charger and replacing the defective item. The following steps can also help to address this issue.
- Check if there is an issue with the AC wall output and if it’s able to deliver the necessary power. You can also consider connecting the battery charger to a different wall outlet if needed.
- Do a hard reset of your laptop and try restarting the device in direct power mode. Depending on the model of your HP laptop, remove the battery before the reset if it’s possible to do so. The hard reset can be done by pressing and holding the Power button down for 15 seconds.
What does a blinking orange light mean on HP laptop mean?
A constantly blinking orange light on an HP laptop refers to a battery issue and it is an indication to charge the laptop. The blinking orange light highlights that the battery levels are low and the device should be connected to an external power source as soon as possible.
- Connect your laptop to its original adapter. Ensure the charging adapter works.
- Connect the battery charger to a working AC wall outlet.
The blinking will stop when the battery has attained sufficient charge.
While it’s uncommon, the issue can also relate to an incorrect version of BIOS or chipset drivers update. Updating them to their proper versions will also help. Some users claim multiple restarts have helped fix the issue, and you can give it a try.
Why is my HP laptop charging light blinking white and orange?
Your HP laptop charging light blinks white and orange to indicate a problem, such as an overdue hard reset, outdated battery drivers, or a damaged battery charger cord.
The following steps will help you to resolve the charging light blinking white and orange problem.
- Do a hard reset of your laptop by holding the Power button for more than 10 seconds.
- Updating outdated battery drivers to their latest version through the Device Manager window by expanding the Batteries node. Select the listed ACPI drivers pertaining to the battery one by one, right-click on it, and select the Update driver option.
- Check a damaged cord that deters the power adapter from delivering the required power for the battery to be fully charged and get a replacement done.
What does a solid orange light mean on HP laptop mean?
A solid orange light on an HP laptop denotes the battery is getting charged. This is not a problem. If the light doesn’t turn white after it is fully charged, it denotes a battery issue. You can try the steps given below if you face this problem.
- Get a battery replacement done at the earliest. Make sure that the new battery and the old one match each other in terms of specifications.
- Consider using a different charging cord and adapter if the problem is likely to be associated with the battery charger.
- Check if the issue has emerged after a recent Windows update and do a rollback if needed.
- Run the HP diagnostics tool to check if drivers are up to date and have no issues.
- Check the laptop for any physical damages that could have harmed the internal components.
What does a blinking white light mean on HP laptop mean?
A blinking white light on your HP laptop means a hardware issue. This is often associated with a faulty charging cord or a defective charging adapter.
- Restart the laptop a couple of times.
- Replace the power adapter and its cord.
- Roll back a recent operating system update to a previous stable version.
- Replace the battery if required.
- Make sure the laptop is not extremely hot and use it once again after a couple of hours.
Why is my laptop showing a white light when charging?
The laptop shows a white light when the charging is complete. The white light is solid without any blinking. This indicates that it’s time to remove the adapter as it indicates the battery has been fully charged.
HP laptop charging light blinking white 3 times
The HP laptop charging light blinking white 3 times indicates an issue with the battery or the battery charger. One instance of why the charging light blinks thrice in white color is because the battery has drained out but cannot be charged.
HP laptop charging light blinking white 5 times
The HP laptop charging light blinking white 5 times signifies that the battery is not getting charged as intended. Check if there is any physical damage to the charging cord or the adapter and change the damaged part. You should also check if the power outlet is delivering the required voltage.
Why is my HP laptop charging light solid red?
Your HP laptop charging light turns solid red to indicate the need to change the battery immediately. The solid red light can also indicate a power fluctuation issue.
- Change the laptop’s battery with a new one with the same specifications as the old one.
- Remove the charging cord at the earliest if there is a power fluctuation issue.
- Check if the laptop is damaged due to external sources such as water and get it repaired by authorized service center personnel. You can also seek their assistance to check if there is a problem with the motherboard or RAM.
Why is my HP laptop charging light flashing red?
The HP laptop charging light flashing red flashing indicates that the battery cannot be charged at the moment. This is an issue that should be addressed immediately.
- Use another HP charger or a certified charging kit to check if the battery is getting charged. If so, the original charger is defective and has to be changed.
- Switch OFF the laptop by holding the power button for 15 seconds.
- Remove the power cord.
- Connect the cord back after 10 minutes and switch ON the laptop.
If the issue persists, it’s recommended to take the laptop to an authorized service center.
Why is my HP laptop charging light not on?
Your HPlaptop charging light doesn’t turn ON because there is no power being delivered to the charging port.
- Plugging in the AC adapter in a different wall outlet.
- Restart the laptop.
- Update the BIOS.
- Search for the latest HP drivers online or use the HP assist software diagnosis tool and install them.
Why does my HP laptop charger LED blink 3 times?
The HP laptop charger LED blinks 3 times to indicate a faulty battery due to prolonged usage. In other words, this blinking is caused because of an old battery. The blinking will stop when a new and properly working battery is used in place of the old one.
Why does my HP laptop charger LED blink 4 times?
The HP laptop charger LED blinks 4 times to denote hardware issues related to the motherboard or RAM. A faulty OS driver can also cause the problem. Getting the faulty hardware component set right and updating the driver will stop the blinking.
Why does my HP laptop charger LED blink 5 times?
The HP laptop charger LED blinks 5 times highlight issues with the battery and the charging port. You must change the charging cord and run the HP diagnostics tool to identify any issues and fix them. In some rare cases, you may have to reinstall Windows drivers.