Why is my battery light blinking on my DELL laptop?
The battery light may be blinking on your Dell laptop because the battery charge is low or the battery is almost completely charged.
- Battery charge is low or almost fully charged
- Temporary or fatal battery failure
- Non-Dell or unsupported AC adapter
This light may also blink due to a temporary or fatal battery failure or if a non-Dell or unsupported AC adapter is connected to the laptop,
Battery charge is low or almost fully charged
The battery light flashes in orange color if it has low charge and flashes in green if it’s almost fully charged.
Temporary or fatal battery failure
The battery light tends to blink when the AC adapter is connected and the battery is failing. The light blinks in amber followed by a steady white light alternately if the failure is temporary. When the battery failure is permanent, the battery light blinks in amber continuously.
Non-Dell or unsupported AC adapter
The battery light may blink if the laptop is connected to a non-Dell adapter or any adapter that is not supported by the manufacturer.
DELL laptop light blink codes
|FLASHING LIGHT SEQUENCE||FAULT||FAULT DESCRIPTION|
|2,1||CPU||The CPU is likely to be faulty|
|2,2||Motherboard BIOS||There might be faults in the motherboard (Involves BIOS corruption or ROM Error)|
|2,3||Memory||The problem is likely to be with the memory. The memory, RAM or both don’t get detected.|
|2,4||Memory||Failure of Memory or RAM|
|2,5||Memory||Installation of invalid memory|
|2,6||Motherboard Chipset||Errors in the motherboard or chipset|
|2,7||LCD||The LCD is likely to be faulty|
|3,1||RTC Power Failure||CMOS battery defect|
|3,2||PCI or Video||Failure of a PCI card, a video card, or a chip|
|3,3||BIOS Recovery 1||Recovery image cannot be found|
|3,4||BIOS Recovery 2||Invalid recovery image found|
Why is my DELL laptop not turning on and the power light is blinking?
The main reason a Dell laptop is not turning ON and the power light is blinking is because of a battery or power issue.
It is recommended that you conduct a hard reset on your Dell computer if it will not switch on or boot into the operating system. A hard reset solves many problems while also draining any remaining power which may be causing this problem.
Alternatively, try a different device’s cord on your laptop. You might also try charging it while it is turned OFF instead of ON. If it works, the problem is most likely the cord. If that isn’t the issue, examine the battery to determine if it needs to be replaced.
How to fix a DELL laptop not turning on and the power light is blinking
You can fix a Dell laptop that doesn’t turn ON and the power light keeps blinking by doing a hard reset. This problem happens when you haven’t used the laptop in a while and it has gone into standby mode.
- Remove the charger cord.
- Take the battery out.
- Keep the Power button for at least 30 seconds
- Connect the power/charger cord again.
- Replace the battery now.
If this doesn’t work, make sure the power cord is in good working order. You can test your cord on a different device or use some other device’s cord on your computer. You can also try charging the laptop while it is turned OFF instead of ON. If it works, the problem is most likely the cord.
If that isn’t the issue, check the battery if it needs to be replaced.
Why is my DELL laptop charging light not on?
Your DELL laptop charging light is not ON because of a broken, sticky or loose power port, a faulty adapter or a pending battery calibration. An outdated battery driver or BIOS can also cause this problem.
You can recalibrate the battery to fix the issue of the charging light not turning ON in your laptop by following the steps below.
- Shut down your PC.
- Unplug any external peripherals linked to your laptop (printers, scanners, or some other USB device).
- Disconnect your laptop’s AC adapter and battery.
- Deplete the remaining power, tap and hold the Power button on your laptop for 10-15 seconds.
- Turn OFF the power source.
- Remove the battery for at least two to three hours.
- Install the battery and charge it overnight with the power turned OFF.
- Attach the AC adapter and install the battery.
- Turn ON the computer to see if it works.
You can also try updating the battery driver through Device Manager and/or BIOS, using another AC adapter. If you’re connecting the AC adapter through a surge protector, connect it to the wall outlet directly.
What does a blinking orange light on DELL laptop mean?
The blinking orange light means because of a malfunctioning component, a power issue or an incorrectly installed component. The system board is unable to begin initialization or is in an S3 power condition, as indicated by blinking orange.
Try doing the following steps and resolve the problem.
- Turn OFF the laptop.
- Remove the battery from the device.
- Unplug the laptop’s AC adapter.
- Press the Power button for 15 seconds.
- Replug the AC adapter and reconnect the battery.
- Turn the laptop ON.
What does a solid orange light mean on DELL laptop mean?
The solid orange light on a DELL laptop means that the battery is very low on charge. The CPU may also be causing the solid orange glow. This battery light is displayed while the computer is running on battery power. A low battery charge is indicated by a flashing orange light.
How t Fix The Solid Orange Light on DELL laptop
- Turn OFF the system.
- Disconnect the wall cord from the outlet or turn OFF the surge protection on the power strip.
- Remove the power adapter and any other devices from the computer.
- Remove the adapter brick’s power cord.
- Hold the Power ON button down for roughly 30 seconds to activate Static Flea Power.
- Connect the power adapter to the system, the cable to the brick and the wall cord to the wall outlet.
- Turn ON the computer and check if the problem is resolved.
What does a blinking white light mean on DELL laptop mean?
The blinking white light on the right side at the top of a DELL laptop means that the computer is being charged or needs to be changed.
A blinking white light at the charging port, on the other hand, can indicate that the battery is either not connected properly or is malfunctioning.
- Shut down the computer.
- Remove the power supply.
- Replace the battery with one from another Dell laptop that you know is good (if available). If this solves the problem, it means that the original battery was faulty.
You can also try disconnecting the battery from the power cord and connecting it to the cord once again.
Dell laptop charging light blinking orange 3 times
An orange charging light blinking 3 times on a DELL laptop indicates that one or more of the battery cells are defective. A battery replacement is usually required if yoi see the orange light blinking 3 times on your Dell laptop.
If the battery won’t charge but the laptop will work on an AC outlet, it’s a sign that the system board is malfunctioning and has to be changed.
Why is my laptop showing a solid white light when charging?
Your laptop is showing a solid white light when charging to indicate that the AC adapter is installed and the battery is charging.
This is not a problem and doesn’t require a fix.
If the laptop shows a solid white light but doesn’t boot, you can check the status of its AC adapter through the BIOS menu and also run Dell offline diagnostics to verify the battery health status.
The steps to carry out the offline diagnostics are given below.
- Turn OFF the laptop and turn it ON again.
- Press the F12 button continuously.
- Select the Prepare One Time Boot menu followed by Diagnostic. This will execute a few quick tests.
- Select Primary Battery followed by Through Test Mode. If there is any error, the error code will be displayed.
Dell laptop charging light blinking white 3 times
The DELL laptop charging light blinks white 3 times means that the power in the laptop is extremely low and you can’t start the computer.
Whenever the laptop is in a deep discharge state, this is what normally happens. The blinking white light also indicates that the system’s adapter is either a non-Dell one or is non-compatible.
Please confirm that you are using a Dell supported power supply. You can try reseating the AC adapter or switching to a working adapter. If the problem is resolved with the new adapter, the old adapter is likely to be faulty. In this case, check if the storage and Wi-Fi LEDs are turned OFF while the battery LED blinks 3 times.
Why is my DELL laptop charging light solid red?
Your DELL laptop charging light is solid red because the battery is dead or the battery has less than 40% capacity left. If this is the reason, charging the laptop should fix the issue. A Li-ion battery should last at least two and a half years.
There’s no certainty nothing else is wrong. When all of the LEDs on the battery test button are lit, it means
If the laptop doesn’t turn ON after you’ve charged the laptop for a while and the charging light is still solid red, you can try the following steps to fix the solid red light.
- Power OFF the laptop.
- Remove the AC adapter and reset the battery.
- Replug the AC adapter and turn the computer ON.
Why is my DELL laptop charging light flashing red?
Your DELL laptop might show a flashing charging red light because the battery charge is completely low and the laptop will not turn ON. The red blinking light can also indicate bad batteries.
A blinking red light without the battery charging can indicate two things.. It could suggest that the processor is overheating. If you can boot into Windows, you can use the E-Leet program to check the CPU heat. Check the hardware monitoring in the BIOS if Windows cannot be run. There can be faulty components in the laptop that trigger the blinking red light.
Steps To Fix The Blinking Red Light on Dell laptop
Follow the steps below to fix the blinking red light issue on your computer:
- Connect your laptop to the AC adapter and the adapter to the wall outlet to charge the battery. If the charging doesn’t take place, try using a different adapter to see if the problem persists. If it does, the battery is defective and has to be changed. You can check the Dell Battery Meter to assess your battery’s performance.
- Try replacing the motherboard and see if the problem is resolved. If there is no blinking red light, the earlier motherboard was faulty.
- Check if the BIOS needs an update and update it to the latest version if needed.
- Turn OFF the laptop and remove the battery. Connect it again after some time. This will resolve the problem if the issue was due to a hot battery.