Why is my Apple iPhone screen darker than usual?
The screen on a Apple iPhone can appear too dark if auto-brightness is turned on in a dark room, low brightness settings or faulty ambient light sensor.
- Low Brightness
- Faulty ambient light sensor
Apple iPhone and most smartphones come with this feature. Auto-brightness mode changes the screen brightness automatically depending on the surrounding lighting condition.
If you are inside a room or somewhere that’s too dark and the auto-brightness mode is activated, it can be the reason for your screen to appear darker than usual.
The manual setting of your Apple iPhone can also make the screen look darker than usual. If your phone’s auto-brightness mode is turned off and manual brightness mode is turned on and set too low, your screen will look darker even in a sunny or bright area.
If the ambient light sensor of your Apple iPhone isn’t working properly, it could be the reason for the low brightness of the screen. However, this type of hardware failure is quite unlikely to happen.
Why is my iPhone screen so dark even on full brightness?
If your iPhone screen is too dark even on full brightness, it could be due to the auto-brightness mode.
On smartphones and some smart devices, Auto-Brightness is a feature that controls the screen’s brightness by tracking how much light there is in the surroundings. Basically, auto-brightness is a program that triggers a light sensor to detect the surrounding lights.
All models of Apple iPhones are equipped with auto-brightness and hence, it can be the main reason. If you are surrounded by low light and the auto-brightness mode is ON, the screen will look very dark even on full brightness.
How do I make my iPhone screen brighter?
You can make the iPhone screen brighter by turning auto-brightness OFF, manually increasing the brightness or contacting customer care.
· Turn Auto-Brightness mode OFF
· Manually increase the brightness
· Contact customer care
Turn Auto-Brightness Mode OFF:
The first thing you need to ensure is whether the auto-brightness mode is on or not. If it’s switched on, you need to turn it OFF and then manually adjust the brightness.
1. Go to Settings from the apps on your iPhone display.
2. Find the Accessibility menu and tap on it.
3. Tap on the Display & Text Size feature.
4. Set the Auto-Brightness OFF by sliding the toggle button.
Manually Increase the Brightness:
If you are facing issues with your iPhone brightness, the best option is to change it from Auto-Brightness to manual and then adjust it according to your needs.
Here’s how you can manually increase your screen brightness:
1. Access the Control Center by swiping down from the upper right corner of your iPhone display. If you are using an iPhone 8 or earlier model, you need to swipe upwards from your iPhone display’s bottom edge.
2. Adjust the brightness bar by dragging it up to make your screen look brighter. To lower the brightness, you need to drag it downwards.
3. Once you are done with the adjustment, your iPhone screen is supposed to look brighter.
Contact Customer Care:
If all the above methods aren’t working, the brightness could be low due to hardware disputes. In this case, you need to consult Apple customer care and let them assist you.
Best iPhone 13 brightness settings
If you’re using an iPhone 13 and you need to set the brightness, you can do it through the Control Center or by turning the auto-brightness OFF or ON.
1. To change the brightness on your iPhone 13, you need to access the Control Center of your iPhone. Swipe down from the upper right corner of your iPhone display to find it.
2. At the control center, you will find many icons and the brightness bar on the right side. To set the brightness, drag the bar upwards and downwards to increase or reduce it.
3. In case your iPhone’s auto-brightness mode is ON, you can turn it OFF or ON through Settings> Accessibility menu> Display & Text Size.
By following the above method, you can successfully set your Apple iPhone 13’s brightness.
Why does my iPhone screen keep changing with auto brightness OFF?
Your iPhone screen keeps changing with auto-brightness OFF because attention-aware features such as Face ID enabled, True Tone setting is activated or Night Shift mode is enabled.
· Attention-Aware Features: If your iPhone has Face ID enabled, it can automatically dim the screen brightness when you’re not around. The main purpose of this setting is to preserve your iPhone battery life. You can fix this issue by switching the Face ID feature OFF.
· True Tone: iPhone 8 and above models are equipped with the True Tone option, which can automatically control the screen’s color intensity and temperature. If you move around constantly, it can create difficulty in looking at the display. You can turn it OFF to fix the issue.
· Night Shift: Another smart setting that can cause the brightness issue is Night Shift that adjusts the color temperature from day to night by making the tone warmer. However, it can sometimes make the screen look dull at the night. You can deactivate this option to solve the issue.
Why does my iPhone brightness dim in sunlight?
Your iPhone’s screen is getting dimmed in sunlight due to features such as auto-lock and battery saver. If none of them is the cause, it could be a hardware dispute.
· Auto-Lock: To save your iPhone’s power, the Auto-Lock mode turns off the display when the iPhone is not in use for a specific time. Just before turning off the screen, this mode also makes the display dim. You can extend the Auto-Lock time to save the screen from dimming too often.
· Battery Saver Mode: If your iPhone has battery saver mode turned on, the screen may look dimmed when the battery is too low. You can turn this feature off to make your screen look brighter on low power.
· Hardware Dispute: If none of the above issues is the cause, it can be due to some hardware dispute. You can consider consulting customer care to fix this issue. If your iPhone is under manufacturer warranty, you may get it solved for free or a replacement.
How to fix an iPhone 12 screen that is too dark?
You can fix an iPhone screen that is too dark by turning Auto-Brightness OFF, manually adjusting the brightness, turning OFF attention-aware features, turning OFF the True Tone setting and turning OFF the Night Shift setting.
· Turn Auto-Brightness OFF
· Manually adjusting the brightness
· Turn OFF attention-aware features
· Turn OFF True Tone setting
· Turn OFF Night Shift setting
Turn the Auto-Brightness OFF:
1. From Settings, tap on the Accessibility menu.
2. Tap on the Display & Text Size option.
3. Turn OFF the Auto-Brightness by sliding the toggle switch accordingly.
Manually Adjust the Brightness:
1. Access the Control Center by swipingdown from the upper right corner of your iPhone screen.
2. Adjust the Brightness bar by dragging it up to make your screen look brighter.
Turn the Attention-Aware Features OFF:
1. Tap on the Settings app of your iPhone followed by the Accessibility setting.
2. Select Face ID & Attention and disable the AttentionAware Features option.
3. You will have to enter your lock screen password to activate the feature.
Turn the True Tone OFF:
1. Tap on Settings followed by Display & Brightness.
2. Tap on the Display & Brightness option.
3. Toggle the True Tone switch to OFF position.
Turn the Night Shift Settings OFF:
1. Tap Settings and then Display & Brightness.
2. Press the Night Shift option.
3. Slide the Scheduled toggle button to OFFposition.
You can also deactivate the Night Shift mode through the Control Center off your iPhone.
How to fix an iPhone 13 screen that is too dark?
To fix the dimmed screen on your iPhone 13 screen, you can try some easy methods such as turning off the auto-brightness feature, adjusting the brightness manually and extending the auto-lock time.
- Turn the Auto-Brightness OFF
- Manually adjust the brightness
- Extend the auto lock time
- Turn the Battery Saver mode OFF
Turn the Auto-Brightness OFF:
1. Go to Settings and then tap on the Accessibility menu.
2. Press the Display & Text Size option.
3. Turn OFF the Auto-Brightness by toggling the switch to OFF position.
Manually Adjust the Brightness:
1. Swipe down from the upper right corner of your iPhone screen.
2. Drag the Brightness bar up to brighten the screen.
Extend the Auto-Lock Time:
1. Open the Settings app and scroll down to Display & Brightness.
2. Tap on the Auto-Lock option where you can extend the time.
Turn the Battery Saver Mode OFF:
1. From the Settings app of your iPhone, go to Battery.
2. Turn the Battery Saver mode off by tapping on the switch.