Why does my TV turn ON but has no picture?
The reasaon a TV may turn On but have no picture is becaise of backlight circuit failure, the TV is in power saver mode, or firmware errors.
- Backlight circuit failure
- Power saver mode
- Image scanner failure
- Mainboard firmware errors
- Damaged cables
Backlight Circuit Failure
The backlight circuit usually has a power chip that delivers the backlight signal. All televisions come with a backlight circuit, which can get damaged due to various reasons.
If you have turned your TV ON but still there is no picture and the display is black, it could mean that the backlight circuit has some kind of malfunction.
Power Saver Mode
If power saver mode is activated on your TV, the display will automatically switch off even when the sound is active.
Image Scanner Failure (T-CON)
An image scanner or timing controller is a device in televisions that delivers the vertical and horizontal timing panel signals. It controls the driving sequence in televisions. If your TV is ON but it has no picture, it could be due to the image scanner of T-CON failure.
Mainboard Firmware Errors
Firmware is a hardware device in TV that resides as read-only software. Mainboard firmware errors can be the cause of no display even when your TV is ON. The firmware error can also occur in the TV remote, which can disrupt its functions.
If you connect your TV to a soundbar or a DVD player, it gets a signal from outside or an external source. If the cable that connects these two devices is loose or damaged, It can cause a blank display when you switch ON your TV. Usually, the yellow cable is responsible for developing displays in TVs.
How do I get my pictures back on my TV?
Your TV may show no picture due to several reasons that we’ve mentioned above. The first thing you need to do to get pictures back on your TV is to identify the issue.
You need to know the model number and the brand of your TV. Different TV brands have different ways of fixing problems and hence, knowing all this information is very important.
Follow User Manual
Every branded TV comes with a user manual or user guide, which contains suggestions on how to operate the TV and how to find quick solutions to problems.
If you have one, you need to first read the user manual and look for their suggestion for your problem. Once you know how to get pictures back from the user manual, simply follow it step by step.
Here are some suggestions on how you can get pictures back on your TV:
- Unplug your TV cord from its power socket.
- Press and hold the TV’s power button for at least 25 seconds.
- Plug the TV’s cord back in after releasing the button.
- Turn your TV ON manually or with the help of your TV’s remote controller and see if the picture is back.
Factory Reset Option
If this issue still persists, you can factory reset your television using the RESET option, which you’ll find on the backside of your TV. Usually, this button is designed like a pinhole and located above the HDMI port of a TV. You need to use a pin to press this button and hold it for at least 30-60 seconds.
Your TV will reset and start after this step. However, if the issue is still there, you may need to contact the customer care team and let them assist you.
To try the above steps, you don’t need any additional tools except the user manual and a small pin for factory reset.
What do you do if your TV has sound but no picture?
If a TV has sound no pictures, it’s recommended to do a factory rest of the TV, update the firmware and disable power saving mode.
This method resets your TV and stops a task that may have been operating without your knowledge. Hence, it can help you to get the picture back on your TV. Here’s how you can factory reset your TV:
- Unplug your TV and locate the RESET option, usually a small pinhole, on the back or side of your TV.
- With a pin, press and hold the pinhole for 30-60 seconds or as directed in the user manual. This action will successfully reset your TV.
- Plug your TV in and see if the picture is back.
Deactivate Power Saver Mode
As we’ve mentioned earlier, power saver mode can be the reason for no picture on your TV. Here’s how you can deactivate it:
- Confirm whether the power saver mode is ON.
- Using your user manual, deactivate power saver mode and see if the problem is resolved.
Power Board Replacement
You may need to change the TV power board to stop this problem. Though you can call a technician to solve this issue, here’s how you can do it on your own:
- Use a soft towel or a cloth to cover your TV screen for protection.
- Get a screwdriver depending on the size of the screws on your TV.
- Keep a screw holder or container handy to safely place the screws.
- Unscrew the back of your TV with the screwdriver by laying your TV downward.
- Locate all the five fuses on your TV and replace any fuse that is burnt or damaged.
- Holding the powerboard, unscrew it from its place and replace it with the new one.
- Reconnect your TV’s wired and cables and screw the back cover carefully.
- Turn ON your TV and see if the issue is resolved.
What do you do if your TV turns ON but has sound but no picture?
When your TV turns on, has sound but no picture , you need to change the HDMi cable and turn the TV off for atleast 5 minutes.
Check TV Installation
You need to check whether the installation connections are properly working and that there are no loose cables. If all the cables are connected via appropriate ports, here are the things that you need to do:
- Switch OFF your TV and then unplug it.
- Wait for at least 20-30 minutes and plug the TV back again like before.
- Press the Power button and hold it for a few seconds.
- Switch ON the TV after releasing the Power
The following hack usually works for restoring the TV visuals.
Change HDMI Cable
Faulty cable connections can be the reason for your TV going visually blank. You can consider replacing the old HDMI cable and other cables with new ones of the same type in such cases.
You will easily find new cables online or from the nearest store but make sure you get the appropriate one according to your model number.
How to fix a TV that turns on but has no picture?
To fix a TV that turns on but has no picture, change the HDMI cable, turn off power saver mode and replace the power board.
Change Power Saver Mode
In case the power saver mode is ON, it can result in no visuals being displayed on the TV. You need to change this mode and see if the problem is still there.
Change HDMI Cable
If the power saver mode is OFF, it can lead to no display on your TV. You can consider changing the HDMI as well as other cables to find the solution.
Replace Power Board
You need to replace the power board if none of the above methods works. You can do it by following the step-by-step method explained above for the same.
How to fix a Samsung TV that turns on but no picture?
If your Samsung TV turns but shows no pictures, you need to check for loose connections and then factory reset the TV.
Check for Loose Connection
The first thing that you need to do to fix this problem is to check whether there is any loose cable connection. Here is the method you need to follow:
- Switch OFF your Samsung TV.
- Check for all loose cable connections and tighten them.
- Turn your TV ON and see if the display is back.
Opt for Factory Reset
You may need to factory reset your TV to fix the no display issue. Here is the method that you can try:
- Unplug your TV and using a pin, press and hold the pinhole for 30-60 seconds.
- Turn your TV ON again and check if the display is back.
If all the above methods fail, you may need to contact the customer care of Samsung.
How to fix a Sony TV that turns on but no picture?
Today is the age of smart LCD and LED TVs where the architecture is different than the older models. If your Sony TV shows no picture, here are some tips that may work:
Check your TV Installation
You need to check your TV cables connection because a loose connection may lead to this problem. If this method doesn’t work, you can contact the Sony customer care team.
Replace the Cables
Damaged cables may be the reason for your TV display going blank. You can replace your TV cables with new ones to solve this issue.
How to fix a Vizio TV that turns on but no picture?
Vizio is a renowned brand that produces cutting-edge TVs. However, if your Vizio TV turns ON shows no picture but has sound, you can try doing a factory reset. This method helps you to reset your Vizio TV software and solve this issue among others. Here’s how you can do it:
- Press and hold the pinhole button on the backside of your Vizio TV., You’ll need to press and hold this button for at least 30-60 seconds.
- Turn your Vizio TV ON after the factory reset and see if the visual is back.
How to fix an LG TV that turns on but no picture?
LG is one of the most popular electronic brands that produce television. Here is how you can fix your LG TV that turns ON but has no picture:
Check the Cables
You need to check for loose connections or damaged cables first. By fixing the loose cables, you can get the picture back. If any cable is damaged, you need to replace it by checking the model number.
If the above method doesn’t work, you can factory reset your LG TV or fix the power board. You can also consider connecting with the customer care team of LG.