Why is my Lenovo laptop keyboard not working?
The Lenovo laptop key may not be working due to one or more of the following reasons:
- Turn on the Troubleshoot wizard: All Windows OS have a built in troubleshoot wizard to take care of any sort of error you may face while operating the system. Turn the wizard to check any sort of hardware or software malfunctions that have entailed the keyboard to stop working.
- Go to the “Start” Menu and type “Troubleshoot” in the search bar
- Click on “Run the Troubleshooter” option and click “Next”
- Keep the Keyboard Drivers up to date: Sometimes the keyboard driver of your Lenovo laptop may not be running with the latest updates and that may be one of the reasons of the keyboard not working. Follow the steps illustrated below to get it sorted:
- Press the Windows key and “X” together
- From the menu, click on the “Device Manager”
- Click on the “Keyboards and mice” option
- Right click on the “Keyboard” option and select “Update driver”
Once the above steps are done, restart the laptop and the keyboard should start working.
- Disable Filter Keys: Turn off the “Filter keys” option to fix one of the major glitches behind the keyboard not working:
- Go to “Start” and click “Control Panel”
- Choose “Ease of Access”
- Click on “Keyboard”
- Turn off the filter toggle button
- Restart the laptop and you are good to go
Why does my Lenovo laptop keyboard keep locking up?
Let us figure out some of the most important causes for a Lenovo laptop keyboard to get frozen:
- Is the laptop frozen?This is one important question whose answer you would like to discover. If the entire laptop gets frozen, you might have the impression that the keyboard is not working. Click on Ctrl+Alt+Del together to check if a process which is running can be ended. If it does not settle the score, try with Win+Ctrl+Shift+B to reset the video drivers in the laptop.
- Look out for damage: Checking if the keyboard has undergone any sort of major damages or one or more of the keys are not working is an obvious exercise you need to do. If there are input problems from the keyboard or inputs are appearing after some time, that is a major indicator that the keyboard is suffering from a major hardware issue.
- Keep the keyboard dust-free: Cleaning the keyboard on a regular basis is an important factor to keep the laptop keyboard from malfunctioning. Dust particles may accumulate in between the various keys in the keyboard causing a break in the circuit. Arrange a keyboard cleaning kit which comes with brushes of different sized along with a solution.
How to unlock Lenovo laptop keyboard?
Keyboard locked? Follow the below easy steps to sort out the issue:
- Filter Keys to be turned off:It may be that the filter keys are turned off which is why the keyboard is locked. Press the “Shift” key for around 8 seconds and you will get the “Filter Key” appearing. Disable the same and the keyboard will be unlocked.
- Numlock to be turned off: It may be possible that the Numlock is turned on by mistake or the keyboard layering option has been changed. Press the “Fn” key on your laptop which will light up the Number lock indicator and will be unlit when the option will be disabled.
You can try the above fix techniques in below Lenovo laptop models:
- X1 Carbon Gen 8.
- X1 Extreme Gen 3.
- Yoga C940.
- Legion 5i.
- IdeaPad Slim 7.
Lenovo keyboard keeps disconnecting
The keyboard of your Lenovo may keep disconnecting because of one of the following reasons:
- System not running on latest OS: Make sure the latest updates of Windows are run in the system
- Drivers not updated: Update the keyboard drivers from the Control Panel and restart the laptop
- Use troubleshoot: Use the troubleshoot wizard, restart the system and the issue shall be solved
Why does my Lenovo laptop keyboard keep typing by itself?
If the keyboard in your Lenovo laptop keeps typing by itself, then sort it by one of the following ways:
- Keyboard Troubleshooter to be run: Go to the “Settings” option and click on “Update and Security” section. Click on “Troubleshoot”, select “Keyboard” and click on “Run the troubleshooter” button.
- Reinstall or Update the Keyboard Drivers: Type “Device Manager” in the “Search” option, find the keyboard driver and click on “Uninstall”. Reboot the computer to get it sorted.
- Drain laptop battery: Draining the laptop battery may end up fixing the problem of the keyboard typing by itself. Keep the laptop running for a few hours till the battery is completely drained. Remove the battery and press the power button to turn off the laptop. Once the leftover electricity is released from the device, put the battery back to its place and check if the problem till persists.
- Sticky Keys to be disabled: Go the “Control Panel” and choose “Ease of Access Center” and change how the keyboard works. You have to disable the options in the “Make it easier to type” section. Choose “Set up Sticky Keys”, disable the options and click “Apply” to effect the changes.
The above techniques can be useful in popular Lenovo models like X1 Carbon Gen 8, Yoga C940, Legion 5i, etc.
How to turn off on screen keyboard on a Lenovo laptop?
The on screen keyboard can be disabled by following the simple steps below:
- Go to “Start” and choose “Settings”
- Select “Ease of Access”
- Choose “Keyboard”
- Set the on screen keyboard from “On” to “Off”
You can try the above steps in Lenovo laptop models like Ideapad Slim 3i, Ideapad S340, Ideapad Gaming 3i, Ideapad L340 etc.
Lenovo laptop keyboard keeps freezing
This is how to fix a Lenovo laptop keyboard that keeps freezing:
- Press “Ctrl+Alt+Del” to see if the function is working. Open the Task Manager, close all applications and “Restart” the system to check if the keyboard is working fine now
- Another alternative can be Holding the Power button till the system turns off and then press the power button again to reboot the system.
- Remove external devices like memory cards or thumb drivers that may be synced with the laptop
- Close the lid of the laptop. After some time open the lid again. The system may go into hibernation mode and the keyboard may start working.
Lenovo laptop keyboard backlight not working
You may suddenly find the keyboard backlight not working. Get it sorted by following the below steps:
- Apply keyboard shortcut: Hold the Fn key and hit the Spacebar, press the F12 key and then the F5 key.
- Increase lighting of backlit keyboard: Go to the “Control Panel” and select “Windows mobility center”. Choose the “Keyboard backlit” option and turn the lighting to “On”. You can adjust the Brightness to “Bright” or “Dim” option.
- Troubleshoot keyboard: Go to “Troubleshooting” from the Control Panel. Choose “View All” to pop up all the troubleshooters. Click on the “Keyboard” option from the list and click on “Next”. Post the scan the issue should be resolved.
The above fixes shall work in Lenovo laptop models like Ideapad Slim 3i, Ideapad S340, Ideapad Gaming 3i, Ideapad L340 etc.
Lenovo laptop keyboard typing numbers instead of letters
Most laptops suddenly display this glitch which can be sorted by following any one of the below steps:
- Turn off Num lock: Press the Num lock key from the keyboard to turn it off. The Num lock light will go off confirming that it is done.
- Turn off Num lock from the on-screen keyboard: If the Num lock option in the keyboard is not working follow the below steps:
- Press “Windows+R” to run the dialog box
- In the dialog box, type “osk” and hit enter
- In case the Num lock is “On” it will get displayed in a different colored white.
- Click on “Options” and turn on “Numeric keypad” option
- Another option would be to get hold of an external keyboard and turn off the Num lock from there. Unplug the external keyboard and check if the laptop keyboard is working fine.
Lenovo laptop keyboard typing wrong characters
The keyboard may be typing in wrong characters due to one of the following reasons:
- Update the OS of your system: Go to Settings, then click “Update and Security”, click on “Windows update” to check for possible updates.
- Uninstall keyboard drivers: Go to the “Start” and click on “Device Manager”. Click on the keyboard driver, right click and choose “Uninstall” to get it done
- Check language settings:Go to the taskbar and type “Language” to get redirected to the language options. Select “Advanced keyboard settings” , set the “Override for Default input” method and close the window
Lenovo laptop models like Ideapad Slim 3i, Ideapad S340, Ideapad Gaming 3i, Ideapad L340 etc. can be fixed with the above techniques.
Lenovo laptop keyboard not working in safe mode
To go from Safe Mode to normal mode to enable smooth running of the system, please follow the below steps:
- Go to “Start” menu
- Choose “Windows Administrative Tools”
- Then click on “System Configuration” and choose the “boot” tab
- Uncheck the “Safe boot” checkbox and you are ready to go.
The above steps shall work in Lenovo models like Ideapad Slim 3i, Ideapad S340, Ideapad Gaming 3i, Ideapad L340 etc.
Lenovo Thinkpad keyboard not working
Follow the below steps to get the glitch sorted and you can use your Lenovo Thinkpad laptop in perfect order:
- When you are in the Login screen, choose the “Ease of Access” logo
- Check the “Type without the keyboard” checkbox
- Use the cursor to check if all the keys are working fine by using the on-screen keyboard
- Restart the laptop and the keyboard shall be working just fine
You can follow the above steps in all Lenovo laptops like the Ideapad S340, Ideapad Gaming 3i, Ideapad L340 etc.
Lenovo Yoga keyboard not working
Try any one of the below ways to get the Yoga keyboard sorted:
- Restart the computer: Sometimes just by restarting the device the keyboard may start working like normal
- Update the drivers: Make sure the keyboard drivers are updated.
- Press the keys: Press the lower half the keys not working diagonally and that may just do the trick for you
- Remove the battery, insert the battery, restart the system and the keyboard shall be back on track
The technique shall hold good in any Lenovo laptops like the Ideapad S340, Ideapad Gaming 3i, Ideapad L340 etc.