Why does my Dell laptop keep shutting down?
The main reason why your Dell laptop keeps shutting down could be because of overheating, poor battery health or a software error.
Table of Contents
Overheating is a major cause of computers turning off randomly, especially during intensive usage. Laptops have a fail-safe device that switches off the computer if the components become too hot.
If your laptop overheats even though the fans operate at full speed, you may clean the vents and fans to ensure nothing impedes ventilation.
Poor Battery Health
A defective battery will cause the laptop to shut down randomly in most circumstances. As a result, it is important to keep an eye on your battery while it is in use.
If your battery does not last long or the percentage lowers rapidly, the battery may be causing your laptop to shut down sporadically.
Have you ever wondered why we have to upgrade Windows from time to time constantly? The solution is to make our computers run more efficiently.
If you haven’t updated the latest updates, your operating system may be sluggish or crash at random. If this is the case for you, you can attempt the steps below to verify your Windows is up to current.
These updates also include the essential system drivers for most of the hardware.
How to fix a Dell laptop that keeps shutting down
To fix a Dell laptop that keeps shutting down, you should check the PC fans, replace the battery or update your software.
Check PC Fans
Check your Dell laptops fans; if they are not running as smoothly as they should, then you should fix them.
The most effective method would be to use a can of compressed air. However, you can drop your laptop for periodic repair if things appear out of your control.
However, if you cannot hear or feel your fans, it is best to take them to a specialist and get them repaired.
Replace The Battery
You may obtain a replacement battery, which should solve your problem. Another cause of battery malfunction is a defective power cable.
The cable may not effectively charge your battery, or the connection may lose someplace. As a result, it is prudent to investigate such alternatives as well.
Another cause of battery malfunction is a defective power cable. The cable may not effectively charge your battery, or the connection may lose someplace.
As a result, it is prudent to investigate such alternatives as well.
If this is the case for you, you can attempt the steps below to verify your Windows is up to current. These updates also include the essential system drivers for most of the hardware.
- Enter Windows Update Settings in the Search field
- Select the Check for updates option
- Windows will automatically search for, download, and install the most recent updates to your operating system and drivers
- Restart your computer
How to fix a Dell laptop that shuts down when unplugged
To fix a Dell laptop that shuts down when unplugged, you should check that it is being fully charged. If it is not, it will eventually run out of power and shut down.
To do this:
- Plug your Dell laptop into a power source
- Turn your laptop on after a few mins
- If it turns on without any issues, then let it charge fully
- Once it is charged, remove the charger
- If it shuts down immediately, you have a faulty battery that needs replacement
How do I fix a Dell laptop that shuts down when the charger is plugged in?
To fix a Dell laptop that shuts down when the charger is plugged in, you should run a check on the batteries.
Sometimes, after a long period of usage, and especially if this usage is careless, the Dell laptop’s battery will deteriorate.
To fix this issue, follow the steps below:
- Plug your laptop into a power source while OFF
- Turn ON your laptop after a few mins
- Check if the battery symbol in the right corner has a plug symbol
- If it does and your laptop still turns off, your battery needs a replacement
- If it does not, your laptop charger cable may be faulty and should be replaced
Why does a Dell laptop shut down even with 100% battery???
The reason why your Dell laptop shuts down even with 100% battery is because of a hardware malfunction.
Other hardware components may fail to perform properly, resulting in random laptop power down, similar to the heating issue caused by faulty fans.
- If you feel that certain hardware pieces are faulty, you should contact a specialist or manufacturer and express your concerns
- If your assumptions are confirmed, you might choose to alter these pieces if possible
Why does Dell laptop suddenly shut down and won’t turn on?
The reason why Dell laptops suddenly shut down and won’t turn on is because of a virus or malware.
We never know what types of attacks may target our systems. A virus or malware may be causing your laptop to shut down randomly.
- Any authentic antivirus program, such as Avast, AVG, or Kaspersky, can be used. Conducting a study and choosing which option is ideal for you is essential
- You may also utilize Windows Security, a built-in security program with Windows
- If you have Windows Security, you may not need to buy or download a new one and install it because it also performs a good job
Why does my Dell laptop randomly shut down after a few minutes?
The reason why your Dell laptop randomly shuts down after a few minutes is because you may have Fast Startup activated.
To disable the functionality, follow the instructions below:
- Open Control Panel by searching for it
- Locate and open the Power Options menu. If you can’t find it, click the arrow next to Control Panel in the address bar and choose All Control Panel Items
- Choose the function of the power buttons
- To alter the shutdown settings as an administrator, click Change settings that are presently unavailable
- Uncheck the box next to Turn on Fast startup
- Save your changes by clicking the Save button
Booting Dell laptop shows logo then has a black screen?
To fix your booting Dell laptop that shows the logo and has a black screen, you should update your graphics driver.
You may also use Device Manager to update drivers for your devices manually.
- Select Device Manager from the Start menu by right-clicking
- Extend each hardware part, such as Display adapters, batteries, monitors, etc
- Select Update Driver from the context menu when you right-click on the component
- In the popup box that appears, choose to Check automatically for drivers
- It is important to remember that manually upgrading drivers might take some time
Why does my Dell shut down instead of going to sleep?
The reason why your Dell shuts down instead of going to sleep could be because of the CMOS battery failing.
If your CMOS battery is dead or missing, your system will boot into the default BIOS settings.
To replace your CMOS battery, follow the procedures below.
- Turn your laptop off and unplug everything, including the power cable
- If the battery is detachable, remove it. If not, remove the battery
- Remove the bottom panel
- The CMOS battery is typically found near the hard drive
- Remove the battery with caution to avoid damaging the battery holder or the motherboard
- Replace the battery with the positive (+ symbol) facing up. If the tape was covering the battery, replace it
- If the battery is still within the rear panel, connect it. Then, replace the panel and fasten the screws
- If not already connected, insert the main battery and power on the laptop
- F2 will take you to your BIOS settings
- Set the system time and date. Save your modifications and restart your computer
Why does my Dell Inspiron keeps shutting down?
The reason your Dell Inspirion keeps shutting down could be because of software malfunctions which can be fixed by resetting your laptop.
Hard resetting your laptop with a bootable USB or if you have a CD-Drive, a boot disk is the best option to cope with in such a situation.
- Insert the bootable USB or disk
- Wait for your system to identify the device
- Follow the on-screen instructions
Why does my Dell XPS randomly shut down?
The reason why your Dell XPS randomly shuts down is because of thermal damage disrupting its function.
If your Dell laptop repeatedly shuts down, you may activate the gadget to guard against potential heat damage.
To determine whether this is the issue:
- Thoroughly clean the device
- Checking for viruses and ensuring that the fan can fully breathe
- Verify if the problem remains
Why does my Dell Alienware keeps shutting down?
The reason why your Dell Alienware keeps shutting down is because of an error in the Power Settings, which you can fix by running Troubleshooting.
You can use the following steps to run Troubleshooting and diagnose the problem.
- Go to ‘Settings’ and select ‘Update & Security
- Go to ‘Troubleshoot’ and pick ‘Power’ from ‘Fix and Find Other Problems’
- When the problem is detected, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve it