Why is my TV changing channels by itself?
The reason why a TV can change channels by itself is:
- Interference signals from your neighbours remote
- Malfunction in the circuit board
- Faulty batteries
- Button is stuck on the remote
- Dusty parts inside the controller board
- Sunlight is hitting the TV screen causing interference
Cause 1: Interference Signals from your Neighbor’s Remote
In some cases, signals from your your neighbours remote can interfere with your TV and cause your TV to change channels. If your neighbor has a similar model and brand of television and the distance between your living rooms is less, then this problem can occur time and again.
Probably when you use your remote or your neighbor uses his or her remote, either of your TV catches the signal. This can cause the TV to change channels randomly.
This is the probable cause as it is not definitive. The TV remote, for most television sets, requires the remote to point at it. Only then can the television set catch signals.
To check if this cause is behind your television changing channels randomly, try moving your television around the house. Use your remote in these areas to see if the problem is resolved. More often than not, moving the television set out of the other person’s range can help you fix the problem.
Cause 2: Malfunctioning of Your Remote
Remote malfunctioning is one of the most common causes that make the TV change channels randomly. Every TV remote transmits signals by way of infrared LED or a radio signal. One changes channels on a TV by way of these signals sent out via the remote.
Signals are usually sent as bursts or series. The TV interprets it as a command which will be completed by changing the channel.
In the case of your remote malfunctioning, the circuit can malfunction, leading to the generation of shorter signals or no signals at all. It could also lead to the generation of unwanted signals like a change of channels by itself in this case.
To fix this, try another television remote or try different batteries. Check to see if the problem persists.
Cause 3: TV screen is exposed to Sunlight
Now, every television set has a receiver that receives the transmitted signals like the ones mentioned above. This receiver also keeps track of which signals to accept and which not to accept. It does not accept signals that have a different wavelength from that of a signal from the remote.
This helps the TV detect signals accurately because many appliances like the bulbs, fridges, radios, our own body, etc. emit signals.
Now, sunlight is something that comprises within itself many wavelengths of varying light. These wavelengths can often filter through the light. If the sunlight is hitting your television screen, the receiver can receive signals from the remote.
These can lead to the generation of signals that lead to TV changing channels randomly.
To fix this, you will have to change your TV location and shift it to another place in your home.
How to Fix a TV that keeps changing channels by itself?
You can fix a TV that keeps changing channels by itself by changing the location of the TV, replacing the batteries inside the remote, or by disabling UHF. Cleaning or replacing the circuit board inside the remote, can also stop a TV from changing channels on its own.
Method 1: Change the Location of Your Tv to Bring It Out of Interfering Range
If your remote is a UHF remote, your TV will receive and accept signals even from a long distance. As mentioned above, if the TV is changing channels on its own, it must be remote of somebody else like a neighbor.
Instead of your remote, it is the neighbor’s remote communicating with your TV via signals. Shift your TV to different positions to see if the problem persists. If it the problem continues, you will have to seek the help of a professional.
Method 2: Disable the UHF
- Now, you can fix this problem easily.
- Disabling the UHF will stop the external signals from interfering with the range of your television.
- However, after this, you will have to keep the receiver within the line of sight of your television set’s remote.
- To disable UHF, you can see a small metal antenna attached at the end of the receiver.
- If you can, then remove the ball at the end of the receiver.
- However, if your receiver does not have an antenna, you will have to change the UHF settings.
- Go to Preference
- Navigate to Hardware Settings and then disable UHF.
- This process might differ depending on the brand of your television.
Samsung TV changing channels by itself
Method 1: Take a Look at the Channel Changing Button
- The problem with your Samsung TV changing channels is fixable. Just take a look at the buttons that help you change channels.
- If they are stuck, you will have to fix that. Just unstuck them.
- Alternatively, you can use a blower to remove the compressed air trapped in the spaces between the buttons.
- Furthermore, cover the remote’s front surface, which is the surface that emits infrared signals. Check if your TV stops changing signals when you cover the IR sensor.
- If it does, then most probably, it is a button that is causing problems.
- However, if not, then it might be a button on the television set that is stuck.
Method 2: Shift Your Tv to a Location That is Free of Excess of Wireless Devices
- The infrared signals from other wireless devices can also cause your Samsung TV to change channels.
- To fix this, just make sure that the TV is not nearby of the wireless devices.
- Move all wireless devices and other devices that emit infrared signals.
- Check if the problem persists.
Vizio TV changing channels by itself
Method 1: Restart the Vizio TV and Do a Power Reset
- Restarting the TV is the easiest fix that you can do.
- Switch off the TV.
- Then, turn it on after a few minutes.
- In addition to this, you can attempt a power reset of your TV.
- Begin with unplugging the power cord from the socket.
- Then, hold the power button on the television set and not the remote for a few seconds.
- Plug the power cord back into the outlet.
- Turn on the TV.
- Check to see if the problem persists.
Method 2: Take a Look at the Channel Changing Button
- The problem of changing channels by your Vizio TV is fixable.
- For this, take a look at the buttons that help you change channels.
- If they are stuck, just unstuck them.
- Alternatively, you will have to remove the compressed air trapped in the spaces between the buttons. This air hinders the functioning of your remote.
- Now, cover the remote’s front surface, which is the surface that emits infrared signals.
- Check if your TV stops changing signals when you cover the IR sensor.
LG TV changing channels by itself
Method 1: Clean the Remote Buttons and circuit board on LG TV
- Perform this solution only if you are a technician. If you are not technologically experienced, then seek professional help.
- More often than not, remote buttons get stuck over time. This hinders the command process from the circuit board.
- Thus, if your buttons get stuck when you use your remote, you will have to clean the remote.
- Begin with disassembling the remote.
- For this, remove the cover of the remote using a screwdriver.
- Now, clean the buttons and circuitry within.
- Use a Q tip for this.
Method 2: Use a Different Remote
- Many LG sets have more than one remote that may work for them.
- In such a case, even if the other remote is partially or fully compatible with your TV, it can help you.
- Your TV may be picking up the infrared signal from this remote control when you use another appliance like a DVD player, etc.
- You can, thus, use that remote. Check to see if the problem persists.
- In addition to this, consider removing the other appliance from the TV’s space to minimize occurrences of your LG TV changing channels.
- This will ensure that it does not pick up the signal from other devices.
Sony TV Switching channels by itself
Method 1: Auto Program Your Channels
- Begin by taking out the batteries of your Sony TV remote.
- Turn off the Sony TV.
- Now, unplug your TV’s power cord from the socket.
- Let your TV stay switched off for a few minutes.
- Now, plug the power cord back into the outlet.
- Switch the TV on.
- Check the remote and TV for any buttons that may be stuck.
- You may have to remove the air, as mentioned above, to prevent the channel changing operations.
- Now, auto program the channels on your Sony television.
- Check to see if the problem persists. Seek technical help in case of any discrepancies.
Comcast TV changing channels by itself
Method 1: Restart the Comcast TV
- The easiest fix that you can do to fix your TV randomly changing channels is restarting it.
- Turn the TV off for 15 minutes.
- Turn the TV on
- Check to see if the problem persists and if it does, seek professional help.
Method 2: Attempt a Power Reset
- Do a power reset of your TV
- Unplug the power cord from the socket.
- Next, hold the power button on the television set and not the remote for about 10 seconds.
- Reconnect power cord
- Turn on the TV
DirecTV box changing channels on its own
Method 1: Reposition the TV
Your DirecTV box can cause your TV to keep changing channels because of interference from wireless devices, your neighbor’s television, or sunlight hitting your TV screen. In these situations the easiest solution is to just reposition the TV to a different location.