Why is my smart TV stuck in standby mode?
A smart TV may be stuck in standby mode because of loose wires between the TV and input source, internal circuit issues, dead batteries in the remote, or issues with the power button.
- Loose wiring
- Internal circuit problems
- Dead batteries
- Failed power button
When the cables connecting the input source with your TV are broken or frayed, the TV may go into Standby mode and won’t turn ON because of no signal. Correcting the faulty connections may help to fix the problem.
Internal circuit problems
When there are internal problems in the circuit of the TV, it can get stuck in Standby mode. This happens to prevent TV from suffering any damage. You may have to get the assistance of a technician to look into this problem.
When the batteries installed in your TV remote are dead, there will be no signal reaching from your remote to the TV and the TV will be stuck in Standby mode. This can be easily solved by installing new batteries in the TV remote.
Failed Power button
Sometimes the Power button on the remote or TV panel may become faulty resulting in your TV getting stuck in the Standby mode. You can fix this issue by checking the wiring on the button or replacing the TV remote with a new one.
How do I get my TV off standby?
You can get your TV off standby mode by turning the sleep timer OFF and setting the Idle TV Standby mode to OFF.
You can do this by following the steps given below:
- Turn OFF the sleep timer on your TV by pressing the Home button on the TV’s remote control. Navigate through the options on the screen and select the Settings option.
- Go to the Timers option and select the Sleep Timer option.
- Click on the Sleep Timer option and turn it OFF.
- To turn the Idle TV Standby mode OFF, press the Home button on your TV’s remote again.
- Go to the Settings option and select the Power option. In some TVs, this may be labeled as the Eco option.
- Select the Idle TV Standby option and turn it OFF. Your TV will get out of Standby mode.
How do I get my TV off standby without a remote?
You can get your TV off standby mode without a remote by pressing the buttons on the TV panel.
Follow the steps given below to get your TV off standby mode:
- Remove the power cord of your TV from the wall outlet.
- Press and hold the Power button present on the panel of your TV and connect the power cord of your TV. Turn ON the Power switch in the wall outlet while pressing the Power button on the TV unit.
- Press and hold the + button located on the left side of the TV until you see the TV powering up.
- If the TV still doesn’t turn ON, press and hold the Power button again until you see the TV company logo on the screen.
How to fix a TV stuck in standby mode and won’t turn on?
You can fix a TV stuck in standby mode that doesn’t turn ON by pressing the Reset button on the TV remote, hard resetting the TV or turning the energy saver option OFF.
To do this, follow the detailed steps given below:
- Press the Power button on your TV and see if the LED red light goes OFF. If it does, this means that the TV is in Standby mode now. Press the Power button again to bring the TV out of the Standby mode.
- Check the TV remote to see if it is working or not. To do this, press the Power button on the remote to see if the TV goes back into Standby mode. If it doesn’t, this indicates that your TV remote has gone bad and needs to be replaced with a new one.
- Locate the energy saver button of your TV with the help of the user manual. The energy saver button is usually located on the left side of the TV panel. Press this button to turn OFF the energy saving function of your TV.
What is standby mode on a TV?
Standby mode on TV refers to the mode of the TV when it is just a one button press away from turning ON. At this time, the TV is plugged in and the power is switched ON but the TV is not ON or there is nothing displayed on the TV screen.
This allows you to turn ON your TV instantly without waiting for the bootup time. On average, the electrically running cost of leaving a TV on standby mode can be anywhere around $2.18 annually.
Is it safe to leave a TV on standby mode?
No, it is not safe to leave a TV in standby mode, especially overnight. It is because even if you leave a TV in standby mode, it still receives electricity.
Since electricity is flowing through the TV, it can get overheated and can become a possible risk factor for fire hazards.
It’s recommended to not leave your TV in standby mode for more than a few hours.
How to turn off standby mode on a Samsung TV?
To turn off standby mode on a Samsung TV, press the menu button on the remote. Then go to settings > software upgrade > standby mode upgrade, and turn this setting OFF.
You will need to turn OFF the Standby mode on your Samsung TV whenever there is no action being performed on the TV by following the steps given below.
- Find the Menu button on your Samsung TV remote and press it.
- Go to the Settings option by using the up and down buttons on your remote.
- Go to the Software Upgrade option and select it.
- Choose the option for Standby Mode Upgrade and turn it OFF.
Why is my LG TV stuck in standby mode?
Your LG TV may be stuck in standby mode because of problems in the remote signal or any internal faults.
You can fix this by following the steps given below:
- Check the batteries inserted in your remote to see if they are old and out of power. Sometimes, when the batteries of your remote become old, the remote is unable to provide signal to the TV. Due to the inactivity of the TV, it goes into Standby mode.
- If the batteries are dead, remove them and install new batteries in your remote and try performing some actions on your TV to see if it comes out of Standby mode.
- Perform a soft reset of your TV by pressing the Power button on your TV and see if there are any changes happening on the TV screen.
- Do a factory reset of your TV if the problem still doesn’t go away. To do this, press and hold the Reset button on your TV remote for around 20 seconds. Wait for some time until you see the LG logo appearing on your screen.
Why is my Sony TV stuck in standby mode?
Your Sony TV may be stuck in standby mode because of circuit issues or loose wires. You can fix this issue by resetting your Sony TV.
- Unplug your Sony TV from the wall outlet.
- Wait for two minutes till the TV shuts down completely. You can also try holding the Power button down for a few seconds.
- Plug the power cord back in your TV and turn it ON. You will see the TV staying in the Standby mode for some time and then turning ON.
- If there are still issues, make sure that the wires are properly connected and there are no internal faults in the TV.